Options

Well Nikon wont be selling a D400

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited November 19, 2012 in Cameras
Stopped in to my local camera shop while killing time waiting for Chinese food. Ask the owner if he had anybody wanting to sell a D3 or D3s. He happened to know an retired newspaper photog that was wanting to sell his D3 just happened to be the same guy that I bought my Wimberly Gimbal head and Tripod from last year.
Bought his beautiful D3 with 3 batteries with 8300 actuation on the shutter for 2200.00

So now I have a camera better IQ, that will handle higher ISO, has faster fps, full frame which I already have lenses. My DX 17-55 f2.8 is the only range I do not have covered

I know the newer D400 if it ever shows up might have the newer AF module faster Expeed processor, more megapixels maybe better ISO

But this D3 will do just fine for what I do for the near future.
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited November 18, 2012
    Congratulations on the new (to you) Nikon D3. clap.gif

Now we expect greatness from you. thumb.gif (Seriously, that thing is a "beast", in the best possible ways.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    $2,200 for a D3? Nice! I paid $2100 for my "scalped" D300 in 2007, when the D3 was $5,000.

I still see a market for the D400, though. As awesome as the D3 is, the extra reach of 24 megapixels on DX is probably going to be very valuable to telephoto sports shooters. That, plus if they can crank it up to 8 FPS without a vertical grip like the Canon 7D has, the portability will also be a selling point.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    $2,200 for a D3? Nice! I paid $2100 for my "scalped" D300 in 2007, when the D3 was $5,000.

I still see a market for the D400, though. As awesome as the D3 is, the extra reach of 24 megapixels on DX is probably going to be very valuable to telephoto sports shooters. That, plus if they can crank it up to 8 FPS without a vertical grip like the Canon 7D has, the portability will also be a selling point.

=Matt=

I still see the need for the D400 also. I was waiting for it when I bought my D7000 when I sent my D300 in for repair. The D7000 is a great camera but falls short in a few areas for my use which is primarily Wildlife/Waterfowl. After seeing all that has come out on the new models the D400 should be a real sweet thing. But right now it is the middle of my favorite time of year for shooting. So i will start rebuilding my camera account and wait and see what happens.

But for now I have one awesome camera to fill my needs. It is a real beast alright.:D
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    Nice grab for sure :ivar
    Lots of good deals out there right now.
    Gary