More Olives

jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited November 20, 2012 in Street and Documentary
_JHP0650_mas_JPEG-L.jpg

The Olive man in the Mercado.

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    This, in my opinion, is a much better shot of the olive man. In the first image you posted,
    the man's back was in focus, and everything else was blurred. And, the man's back was to
    the camera. Not really much of a shot.

This one includes the man and what should be in focus is in focus. If it's a shot about a
    man and about olives, we should be able to make out the olives and see the man.

Much better.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    Yes this is much better than the first.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Thirding that it is quite an improvement on the first.

I'm curious about three things though: 1) the strong light on the back of the gentleman, it throws off the balance within the shot; 2) those olives couldn't all be black or grey. Colour here could be quite exciting; and 3) did you shoot square? What else was in the frame before the crop. Not that the crop is wrong, just that cropping is something that very often needs to be rethought multiple times depending on whatever the intended use might become.
  • jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

BTW Tony, I'm in Winter Park so maybe I'll see you out shooting one of these days.

Also, the bright light probably came from the bare bulb lighting in the Mercado. I burned in the edge and his shirt to try to get a little detail. Also, the olives are remarkably colorful, shades of green and purple. I'll post a color version when I get time to clean it up. The square format, well I just decided to crop it that way because, as I remember, there was a bunch of boxes and junk that I didn't think added much to the shot.