DSS #116 - Some options from Santa Barbara

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited November 23, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Had a chance to get out around the wharf and mission today. I'd appreciate any feedback or preferences...

At the Butterfly Grove in Goleta (no butterflies to be found... should be some in December/January)
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-8-L.jpg

Merry-Go-Round at East Beach
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-17-L.jpg

Stearns Wharf Storefront
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-25-L.jpg

Another from Stearns Wharf
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-30-L.jpg

And another from Stearns Wharf
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-79-L.jpg

Mission Santa Barabara
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-80-L.jpg

Another from the Mission
20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-87-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• marantophotographymarantophotography Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    I find "Mission Santa Barbara" the most stark and interesting of these images and think that would fit the theme best.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    I agree...the mission shot. Love the repetition of lines and the subdued colors and textures.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    The Mission Santa Barbara shot! Very nice! I really like that one for this theme. It grabbed me more than the others. I like the warm glow. clap.gif

Sherry
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    I love the Butterfly Grove in Goleta!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    I agree with those on the Mission - the lighting is well suited to this challenge theme. I like the perspective too. Runner up would be Stearns Wharf Storefront ....there's something charming about it that I like.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm inclined to go with the consensus on this one. Funny... I spent most of the evening at the wharf. The mission shot was a last minute stop on my way home.

And, just for fun, here's another from the wharf.

20121118%20DSS-Dark%20Side-70-Edit-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    I really like this last shot!. The bokeh is nice, however, the background lights compete too much with the bike (IMO, of course). So, just for kicks, I scrolled the image down to eliminate the top of the image, so it's just the light off the water against the bike....I kinda like:D. Just a thought from little-o-me, who's been MIA for too long! All of your images are nice, you have a great eye!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    I agree with Karin's suggestion of cropping top. Really brings the bike into focus and still leaves the beauty of the reflections on the water w/o the buildings which seem unnecessary if your intent was to highlight the bike in front of the water background. Also simplifies the overall image. I think it's up there with the Mission shot for the challenge too.
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    I like allof the shots, but for me, only the bike shot feels 'low key. The others are just regular night shots with many light sources. Tha actual subjects aren't really low key. I could be misinterpreting the intent of the challenge tho.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.