Options

all in one hdd docking station problem.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited November 26, 2012 in Accessories
Hi all
i had a ext hdd go down on me and tried a docking station. It seems that in both windows 7 64 bit and vista 32 bit an annoying fact that this unit disconnects from my laptop whe i insert a hardrive and reconnect if i remove the hdd. No manufacturer on the box. Tried reboot with hdd inserted but no good either. :dunnoI am sure someone here came across someone online with this problem and they might be able to help me out please. Here is a link to the model i have bought...http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DUAL-2-5-3-5-IDE-SATA-HDD-HARD-DRIVE-DISK-DOCK-DOCKING-STATION-ALL-IN-1-/290783710302?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item43b40f4c5e
Kind regards
Patrick.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 19, 2012
    I use the following hard drive converter adapters and I like them enough to recommend them. I do leave them attached most of the time (to a desktop machine) but I have no problems with XP and Win 7 machines finding them and mounting the hard drives. Do be careful to protect the hard drives, since the hard drive's electronics are exposed.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SATA-C35U-Serial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B000E6NGBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353381779&sr=8-1&keywords=sabrent+hard+drive+adapter+sata+c35u
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Are you inserting IDE drives or SATA drives....since IDE are not hot swappable ... this may be the problem...I have been using thermaltake single and dual bay docks without a problem for several years...the single dock for many years and the dual for a couple.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Are you inserting IDE drives or SATA drives....since IDE are not hot swappable ... this may be the problem...I have been using thermaltake single and dual bay docks without a problem for several years...the single dock for many years and the dual for a couple.

There are no "docks" for IDE drives that I'm aware of because IDE did not have standardized connectors like SATA Drives do. You can get a USB->IDE Cable adapter so you can put it in where need be, but I looked before converting to SATA and now I see the light with standardization. Especially when it comes to say, a server, you need your connectors in the same place every time for hot swapping, which was never possible with IDE which is why I think a lot of servers remained SCSI for so very long, which I believe was like SATA, standardized.. but I'm not 100% positive.. SCSI is so long ago!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2012
    Hi all
    i had a ext hdd go down on me and tried a docking station. It seems that in both windows 7 64 bit and vista 32 bit an annoying fact that this unit disconnects from my laptop whe i insert a hardrive and reconnect if i remove the hdd. No manufacturer on the box. Tried reboot with hdd inserted but no good either. ne_nau.gifI am sure someone here came across someone online with this problem and they might be able to help me out please. Here is a link to the model i have bought...http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DUAL-2-5-3-5-IDE-SATA-HDD-HARD-DRIVE-DISK-DOCK-DOCKING-STATION-ALL-IN-1-/290783710302?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item43b40f4c5e
    Kind regards
    Patrick.

So the one thing this doesn't state is, is it USB only or USB and eSata? I can't tell because they only have one picture. I ask because if plug my dual doc (a sabrent like Ziggy's) into an eSata port, I have to reboot for the drive to be recognized. Could be due to the fact my computer is OLD and doesn't recognize hot-swaps.. But if it's USB.. I would check to see if there are any updated drivers, but without a real mfg that might be a hard thing to do. Try something like Driver Genius to see if it can find a new driver? Other than that, it's extremely odd. Does it work OK reading memory cards or is that backwards as well?
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2012
    There are no "docks" for IDE drives that I'm aware of because IDE did not have standardized connectors like SATA Drives do.

Jim the company the OP linked to does make a dual slotted dock that one is sata and one is IDE...i saw them on EBAY and PMed the seller and sure enuff 1 slot IDE and the other is SATA...that is why they call them all in one.... I have the old style box for my IDE drives with the USB cable to connect to the computer.... Never was a real fan of SCSI, but it was fun to celebrate the Patent Award when I worked in the Computer Manufacturing Business... ...

Have a good holiday.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 24, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Jim the company the OP linked to does make a dual slotted dock that one is sata and one is IDE...i saw them on EBAY and PMed the seller and sure enuff 1 slot IDE and the other is SATA...that is why they call them all in one.... I have the old style box for my IDE drives with the USB cable to connect to the computer.... Never was a real fan of SCSI, but it was fun to celebrate the Patent Award when I worked in the Computer Manufacturing Business... ...

Have a good holiday.

Wow.. I'm quite surprised considering the placement of IDE is all over the place.... I have a stack of 20IDE's sitting here and there are at least 4 different port configs between those 20 drives.. Would make me wonder how they managed that...
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    I like that dock but I have the cable pretty much like Ziggies. The only thing I don't like about the dock is, it loads numerous drivers for the different slots. Plug it in, and look in "my computer" and you'll see what I mean. I would be willing to bet you the problem is the dock, not the drive. Inside the dock is a chipset to control the various devices, I would be willing to wager, windows has an issue with that chipset brand, seen in the USB or bus master category of device manager of windows as a bright yellow exclamation mark with it plugged in. As I learned years ago, not all chipsets are equal.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    Wow.. I'm quite surprised considering the placement of IDE is all over the place.... I have a stack of 20IDE's sitting here and there are at least 4 different port configs between those 20 drives.. Would make me wonder how they managed that...

I am sure that the maker of the dock was simply referring to PATA, as was I and i meant to clairify in my other post... ... I did PM the seller(s) I was looking at on EBAY asking them to change the IDE to PATA... but then I remembered that buying drives off Ebay everyone was identifying them as IDE, and as you stated their are many incarnations of IDE... ... been so long since I was in the computer mfg'ing business I forget all the different incarnations of many of the pieces and parts... ... just like 95% of the people have no idea that a simple Personal Computer used to be 6foot 3inches and weight in at over 2000lbs or that hard drives were larger than 33 1/3 rpm records or that a mother board had over 5 miles of wire wrapped around them and over 1/2 pound of gold on them in the runs and pins... ...

Thanks for jogging my memory