My little Ukrainian lady

lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited November 22, 2012 in People
Recently took a picture of my daughter. This was taken in the States, but the grain is a national symbol of Ukraine and my husband and I are both Ukrainians. Please critique on this picture. Composition, lighting and so forth. I am a bit concerned of the over blown light on the top right corner and the fact that her hand is cut off. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

DSC_2430-Edit-L.jpg

Comments

• novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    I like the golden hue to it, with her hair. You might want to clean up the piece on her right arm and that piece sticking out sideways towards the right arm. I might also clone out that shadow behind her. Nice color saturation and eyes. I like the symbolism of this.
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Lots of people complain about hands being cut off -- I'm not one of them. Looks fine to me since the subject of the photo is her face and the grain. I don't mind the over exposed section in the top right either, but I do feel like it's a bit too much wasted space above her head. The only way to change that now would be to crop it 4:5 (or something other than 2:3), since your really can't afford to crop any of the sides out.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    lzfoto wrote: »
    Recently took a picture of my daughter. This was taken in the States, but the grain is a national symbol of Ukraine and my husband and I are both Ukrainians. Please critique on this picture. Composition, lighting and so forth. I am a bit concerned of the over blown light on the top right corner and the fact that her hand is cut off. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Very good snap... the shadow does not bother me , but the grain in the mouth does :D and the grain heads on the sleeve of her left arm also...If you do a reshoot have her cradle the grain like a baby or in various wedding bouquet poses ... ... these will alleviate the probs mention by and above.
    as to cutting off the hand...that is a personal preference, I have seen well known Photos cut off a hand, foot and partially cut them off...so rules can be broken...but if you had shot a little lower her hand would be in the pic and some of the top would be gone, creating a tighter shot of your daughter.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website