Canon 5D Mark III sync issues at 1/200sec

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited December 7, 2012 in Cameras
I was shooting in the studio last night with a Canon 5D MArk III and noticed a thin black band along the right side of the frame, abviously the curtain shot at ISO 200, 1/200th f8 on manual with 24-105mm L, photogenic Studio max II and IIIs with pocket wizard IIs.

I freaked.

I lowered the shutter speed to 1/160 AND 1/125TH and it went away.

Any one had sync issues with this camera?

thanks

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 20, 2012
    Happens all the time no matter what body you're using. It's always best to shoot a bit below maximum synch speed to allow some leeway for triggers and strobes, just as you discovered.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    Too add to this, normally no issue with speed lights but with studio strobes you do normally need to lower your shutter speed.

Results with speed lights and triggers can vary. No big deal......just lower the shutter speed, and don't freak out. :D

Sam
  • vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Too add to this, normally no issue with speed lights but with studio strobes you do normally need to lower your shutter speed.

Results with speed lights and triggers can vary. No big deal......just lower the shutter speed, and don't freak out. :D

Sam

i think that is what I have seen in the last 24hours.

freakin becasue i just spent a bazillion dollars on PW flexes and a 5dmarkIII....but thanks to you guys I think I feel better. I forgot to test this in the studio today but I trust your experience and I saw no anomalies at 1/125th of a sec...thankswave.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited November 21, 2012
    If you "must" use the rated x-sync shutter speeds, you might consider a process and slave set that allows you to "hypersync" or at least to "tweak" the flash sync for maximum effect.

It sounds like you are already vested in PocketWizards, so start your research here:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/hypersync_fpsync/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    But to use Hypersync you need to buy yet more toys. A TT1 or TT5 transmitter which are the only devices which support transmitting a hypersync signal. Basically you play around with the timing to see if you can't get it more fine tuned than the way it already works. There was a good explanation on the wasted time in a firing sequence on the Pocketwizard page somewhere... But I can't seem to find it now.
    edited November 23, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If you "must" use the rated x-sync shutter speeds, you might consider a process and slave set that allows you to "hypersync" or at least to "tweak" the flash sync for maximum effect.

It sounds like you are already vested in PocketWizards, so start your research here:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/hypersync_fpsync/

I will bookmark this for sure but I am using Pocket Wizard II to fire off my photogenic studiomax II & IIIs

and I'll use a tt1/tt5 when I have mixed speedlights and strobes in the studio. I have used the flex sys for setting up a speedlight with a snoot on a boom for a hairlight and have to fire it off using the zone controller with the monolight.....but I have to get in there today and see how well everything works again..

earlier this year, with my new 5DM3 nothing worked right with the TT3/TT1 because I didn't have the update for the PW for the camera and I didn't use that insulative sock for the 580exII which is essential...

I DIGRESS....mwink.gif
  • kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Another data point: My 5D III with Buff Cybersyncs and Einstein syncs fully at 1/200th but at 1/250th the shutter blocks the light from the bottom 1/8th or so of the frame. I haven't tried but presume that a to get the advertised x-sync you may need an actual sync cable. I'm pretty sure I've gotten 1/250s with a speedlight in the hotshoe.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    There is a beta version of of tt1/tt5 firmware that supports the 5D3 on the PW site.

vdotmatrix wrote: »
    earlier this year, with my new 5DM3 nothing worked right with the TT3/TT1 because I didn't have the update for the PW for the camera and I didn't use that insulative sock for the 580exII which is essential...

I DIGRESS....mwink.gif
    edited November 24, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    There is a beta version of of tt1/tt5 firmware that supports the 5D3 on the PW site.
    yeah man I was ready to send my entire collecton of tt5s and tt1, etc... back to PW central until I spoke with somenone there and he said to install this beta and then every thing was sooooooooo perfect.
    edited November 25, 2012
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    yeah man I was ready to send my entire collecton of tt5s and tt1, etc... back to PW central until I spoke with somenone there and he said to install this beta and then every thing was sooooooooo perfect.

I just shot a few test shot in the studio and sure enough, on manual at 1/200th and 1/250th I start to see the evil curtain...but i shoot well below this in das su-su sudio!

I couldn't get my flex to fire off my PWIIs...this may be another topic for a different post.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    Is there any reason that you need to sync at 1/200 second with studio strobes. I shoot with my studio strobes (White Lightning) at 1/60 second and have no problems with that sync speed...