Penny

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited November 22, 2012 in People
penny%20jpg%20resize-001-L.jpg

This is one of the first shots using my flash off camera also it's a first attempt at Photoshop Elements 11. I know I have a long way to go but C&C is welcome.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    the light is positioned incorrectly here. it is too much to the side of the subject. it needs to come more of angle so that more of the face is lit up. more like 45 degrees (try and get a catchlight in the eyes). also are you using some kind of diffuser like an umbrella?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    i get great results using a gary fong clone defuser. I got it on amazon for $20
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 20, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    the light is positioned incorrectly here. it is too much to the side of the subject. it needs to come more of angle so that more of the face is lit up. more like 45 degrees (try and get a catchlight in the eyes). also are you using some kind of diffuser like an umbrella?
    I tried to get catch light in her eyes but all I got was a reflection on her glasses. The flash (Nikon SB900) was at a 45 to her head but I guess it needed to be more in front of her also.
    Thanks for your input!
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    i get great results using a gary fong clone defuser. I got it on amazon for $20
    I also use the gary fong clone diffuser.
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Lighting looks a bit dark and angled at an odd angle for a portrait.
    Her eyes are softer than the rim of her glasses.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the Gary Fong light mods. All they do is throw light everywhere. Fine if you don't want to control your light, but if you want to decide where it falls, you need something a bit more refined.
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    captain78 wrote: »
    I tried to get catch light in her eyes but all I got was a reflection on her glasses.

If you shoot two of her you can easily cure that in post. Take one with the glasses on and tell her to freeze and hold her position, remove the glasses and shoot again. then in your editing layer the glasses one over the non and erase inside the glasses frames. bang glare is gone!!
    captain78 wrote: »
    The flash (Nikon SB900) was at a 45 to her head but I guess it needed to be more in front of her also.

If you put the light 45 degrees left or right of her nose then in your at a good starting point. You can fine tune from there for the wrap effect your looking for.thumb.gif

Just what I've picked up on from other posts here.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    If you shoot two of her you can easily cure that in post. Take one with the glasses on and tell her to freeze and hold her position, remove the glasses and shoot again. then in your editing layer the glasses one over the non and erase inside the glasses frames. bang glare is gone!!

Also a real easy trick is to simply tilt the glasses forward by lifting the back of the glasses above her ears, the tilt is unnoticeable from in a front facing portrait.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com