Options

Mini Challenge #155 - Six Legs

Comments

• Options
    linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2012

If you can prove that such beasts as A330s only have 2 landing gear legs - I'll let this one thro ... otherwise, no go too :)

If it'd been 2 a/c with gear down ... and nowt else with 'legs' either visible ... or implied ... ok.

(nice 3rd pic, btw)

pp

Thanks for the tips :D Er, this particular plane was an extremely rare and unique one with only two legs, but unfortunately I can't prove it since I don't have a photo of the whole plane..... ne_nau.gif

Look forward to seeing more legs!
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    kscooper wrote: »

Six legs in Women's 4x400m relay from 2012 Big XII Track and Field Championships:

Now, I'm no expert on athletics, but most of the time when I've watched a relay race - and someone's holding a baton ... there's generally an arm attached to the relevant hand ... then a body and a couple of sticky out poles that are integral to the running aspect ... so, my Q is ... is that a hand + baton I see frame right ... or do I need to clean my monitor? :)
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »

2. Snowy Day

3. Forever

In 2, I reckon the car(frame R) is moving ... and thus occupied ...

In 3, whilst valid because legs are attached to hands /bodies etc ... there's not a great deal of leg ... and if someone (non-snapper) was asked about this pic, I suspect that hands - rather than legs would be the bit of body springing to mind.
    So - valid ... but ...
  • Options
    TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Back from the Land of Oz, and eager to rejoin this merry band of shutter-happy wackos! ;)

I initially thought this challenge would be easy-peasy, but... these are the best I could come up with:

1) Six-legged Shadow
    6-leg-shadow600x800-L.jpg

2) 2 Legs & 4 Flippers
    costarica-0009-opt800x541-L.jpg

3) Six Legs, No Evil
    1africa249-opt800x541-L.jpg

btw, Uluru was BREATHTAKING (though my 200+ pics of it don't come close to doing it justice).
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Now, I'm no expert on athletics, but most of the time when I've watched a relay race - and someone's holding a baton ... there's generally an arm attached to the relevant hand ... then a body and a couple of sticky out poles that are integral to the running aspect ... so, my Q is ... is that a hand + baton I see frame right ... or do I need to clean my monitor? :)

Paul - Yep, no question. :D At right, that is clearly a baton, attached to the hand of another competitor with legs! I thought about attempting to PS it away, but declined. That was already a tight shot in portrait orientation, so . . . yeah - DQ'd, OOB, FAIL, etc. :D

And, no - your monitor doesn't need cleaning!

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    1. Hang On!

_MG_1394-L.jpg

2. Serious Conversation!

rodeo1b-L.jpg

3. Ahhhh!!

AN7O0832WEB-XL.jpg
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    I really like this one!
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    Very interesting challenge! Will look for some others to add, but will start off with this one.

San Simeon
    untitled%20shoot-001-3-Edit-Edit-S.jpg
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    Good one :)

1. High school soccer

Wey-Walpole%2010-12-11-78-S.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    travelways wrote: »
    Good one :)

1. High school soccer

Wey-Walpole%2010-12-11-78-S.jpg

Thanks Travelways. I had few to pick from, I'm just glad I found one!
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2012
    Very funny subject

I found some too :)

1. Happy family

">:)" alt="Indian Summer in Ottawa Thank you so much for all your comments - this made me re-start posting in the dailies, even though I'm not sure I'll have the time to post every day :)" />

2. Let's go dear, Paparazzi are here!

3. Welcome to Labrador

Sept. 17, 2010  Welcome to St. Lewis, Labrador  For those who don't know, this kind of
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2012
    travelways wrote: »

2. Let's go dear, Paparazzi are here!

Whilst we can only see 6 legs, imo there's another 2 associated with subject frame R :)

Could be it's some sort of mutant / chimera ... but wouldn't it be sitting on its rump in that case?

pp
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2012
    I thought that it was about legs that appear in the photo...

No problem, I have another:

2 - new: Skating

Ottawa January">:) Ottawa January" alt="- January 23, 2010 Rideau canal (Ottawa Canada) is open for skating 3 Thank you for all your nice comments on my yesterday photo :) Ottawa January" />

Is it better :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2012
    Whilst we can only see 6 legs, imo there's another 2 associated with subject frame R :)

Could be it's some sort of mutant / chimera ... but wouldn't it be sitting on its rump in that case?

pp

I have just been discussing with a theoretical physicist. It is possible that there is a wormhole (a sort of connection between two black holes from different universes) and the hind legs are in the process of being sucked into that. If the hind legs are in another universe, perhaps it qualifies?? headscratch.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90641409@N02/8234015898/in/photostream is a photo of some of the wormholes I'm talking about, taken by my friend Rob Hocking.
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2012
    I have just been discussing with a theoretical physicist. It is possible that there is a wormhole (a sort of connection between two black holes from different universes) and the hind legs are in the process of being sucked into that. If the hind legs are in another universe, perhaps it qualifies?? headscratch.gif ...
    [URL="http://"][/URL]

Ahhh ... there's always 'one' ... at least, innit? :)

This is way above my pay grade ... seeing that you're Cambridge based (the original one) ... it's no wonder. My older daughter + SO live there ... and I can never understand what she's rabbitting on about in chosen field ... and no chance whatsoever with SO (just finished a PhD in molecular biology)

Please remember I'm just an old codger who can - on a good day - (just about) cope with the arduous task of taking piccies of ducks and the occasional mini beast ... and we'll get along just fine :)

One thought tho' ... do worm'oles have the same sexual proclivities as their namesakes ... and thus - to reference an ancient joke - suffer from a fear of becoming 'snookered' ? ...

pp
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2012
    Ahhh ... there's always 'one' ... at least, innit? :)

This is way above my pay grade ... seeing that you're Cambridge based (the original one) ... it's no wonder. My older daughter + SO live there ... and I can never understand what she's rabbitting on about in chosen field ... and no chance whatsoever with SO (just finished a PhD in molecular biology)

Please remember I'm just an old codger who can - on a good day - (just about) cope with the arduous task of taking piccies of ducks and the occasional mini beast ... and we'll get along just fine :)

One thought tho' ... do worm'oles have the same sexual proclivities as their namesakes ... and thus - to reference an ancient joke - suffer from a fear of becoming 'snookered' ? ...

pp

In fact, you know exactly as much as I do about worm'oles now mwink.gif not sure if they have feelings ne_nau.gif but if they get snookered and snookered is what I think it means, it becomes quite confusing because the output might be trapped in one of the universes.... have to ask the theoretical physicist again eek7.gif

I often prefer the life of an old codger (or maybe a slightly younger one); many of the simple and beautiful things are often thrown out the window in the quest to increase the pay grade :D

Let me know if you come by!
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2012
    Bee therr SIX ,yes

TW_1611-XL.jpg

MOM That's a nikon eek7.gif

TW_5646-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2012
    CAPTURED2H wrote: »

MOM That's a nikon eek7.gif

TW_5646-XL.jpg

Those eyes really hit me in the eye thumb.gif
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    p1234217902-6.jpg

My entry.
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    Pedagirl I can't exactly put my finger on it but I keep coming back to glance at this one. Everyones tastes are different but this is definitely my kind of photograph. Nicely done.
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    Very interesting challenge! Will look for some others to add, but will start off with this one.

San Simeon
    untitled%20shoot-001-3-Edit-Edit-L.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    PedalGirl - your bench shot is very very nice, but I can't help noticing the lens spot in the sky top right each time I see it. If you've a half decent editor it would take seconds to clean it and it would look even better. I'm pointing it out because I sometimes completely miss them on mine and always appreciate being told.

You're bench shot is lovely ... it has inspired me to change one of mine, even though not as good. As they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"!

Nice shot.

Alan
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    I didn't know what a lens spot was. I have some of them too. What causes them, and how can I keep from getting them?
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I didn't know what a lens spot was. I have some of them too. What causes them, and how can I keep from getting them?

Hi GrandmaR

That’s actually a big question and I’ll try not to be boring with too big an answer.

In the days of film, spots are caused either by fairly serious marks on the lens (front or rear if removable lens) or dust which has got into the camera and onto the film, or (less likely) dust during the development process. Film has an advantage here – dust on the film is wound out of the camera and only marks one shot. Dust on the film does not usually cause such big blobs on the image.

Most “lens spots” in the digital world are unfortunately caused by dust which gets onto the camera sensor. The unfortunate bit is that it often accumulates there forever, particularly more sticky stuff like pollen. It can cause marks such as seen in PedalGirls shot. This is why if you change lenses you should always hold your camera with the lens pointing downwards as this reduces dust falling into the camera. If out and about and breezy, then additionally shield your camera from the wind with your own body whilst you change your lens.

Sensor spots mostly show up at high F stops. If you want to see how dirty your sensor is, then point your camera upwards at a clear sky and take a shot at F22 or higher and prepare yourself for a shock!

During digital development, applications such as Lightroom, Photoshop etc have simple and quick tools to "clean" spots digitally - especially quick in low detail areas like skies where they show up most. One click in lightroom for example ...

Capture.JPG

Because I use Lightroom for my photo development, sometimes on a shoot I will take a shot of the sky as described, because I can then use Lightroom to “clean” that sky shot and copy the “cleaning settings” from that shot to clean all spots on the rest of the shoot.

Sensors can be physically cleaned, but don’t bother if you generally don’t notice it, and don’t do it yourself unless you have the right kit and really know what you are doing.

Hope that helps,
    Alan.

PS – I’m no expert so if anyone wants to correct me or add to it then please do.
    PPS - If you pay to have your sensor professionally cleaned then take a shot @ F22 or more and filling your frame with a very well lit peice of whte paper and do the same as soon as you get the camera back. I have had to query the effectiveness of one such professional clean and had it re-done.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2012
    great - that does help because I kept looking at the outside of the lens and didn't see anything.

On a digital camera that I had two cameras ago (a replacement for my first digital camera (a Toshiba) which I loved, but the on-off rotator button came right off in my hand one day), I had a very nasty lens spot and also a hair which I determined by careful examination was NOT outside the camera.

Image019.jpg

At this time we were traveling down the ICW (Intercoastal Waterway) from the Chesapeake to Florida and the Bahamas every winter. We lived on our boat for about 5 months. I got the camera just before we left and took upwards of 3500 photos with this camera and of course most of them showed this spot and that hair because most of them had a light colored sky. If I remembered, I could get around it by holding the camera upside down, but I didn't always remember. It was a real PITA because my editing skills and the programs I had to work with at that time (2003-2004) weren't that good. When we got back, I sent the camera in to be fixed and it took me three times of sending it back before they 'got it' - I finally had to email them a photo because the thread and spot don't show unless it is a light sky and they were taking the test photos indoors. I really didn't like that camera - it had regular AA batteries and ate them up. The next camera I got was a Kodak and I liked it so well I got a second one before I got the one I now have, which is the first digital camera that I've had the capability to change lenses. I had that with my old film Canon cameras, but not with digital
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    PedalGirl - your bench shot is very very nice, but I can't help noticing the lens spot in the sky top right each time I see it. If you've a half decent editor it would take seconds to clean it and it would look even better. I'm pointing it out because I sometimes completely miss them on mine and always appreciate being told.

You're bench shot is lovely ... it has inspired me to change one of mine, even though not as good. As they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"!

Nice shot.

Alan

Thanks Alan! Until you pointed it out, I missed it completely! I will chalk it up to aging eyes, must have edited this one without my glasses on. eek7.gif Easy enough fix tho. Will fix it up and repost it.

If only you could see where this photo started. It was taken with my old Sony P&S back in 2008... before I had any ideas of trying to become a photographer. Overcast day and apparently crap all over the lens. I knew nothing of editing at the time and the original shot actually has the date/time stamp in the corner! But as I learned more about photography and editing (and got the tools to do both)... when I'm bored I go back to some of my old shots that I liked but not enough to share and see what magic I can work. My photos from my trip up the CA coast is one of my favorite albums to play with.

superduckz wrote: »
    Pedagirl I can't exactly put my finger on it but I keep coming back to glance at this one. Everyones tastes are different but this is definitely my kind of photograph. Nicely done.

Thanks! To both of you for the kind words on this photo... seems like it's gained new life!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Drum Point Lighthouse
    Drum%20Point%20Lighthouse%20Night%20shot-1-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2012
    Oh neat - never saw it lighted up at night before. I guess Thomas Point would qualify too, and maybe lso Seven Foot Knoll although I haven't counted the legs that one has.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Fun challenge!

sixleg%20crop-L.jpg

Bee%20the%20Flower-L.jpg

Mini%20%20Challenge%20-%20Heroes%203-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    If I understand the challenge correctly, I am seeing 10 legs here... 2 people in the top right background. It's a great shot so I had for it not to be considered. Maybe it could be cropped a bit?
    billseye wrote: »

i-d2bdjGd-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    If I understand the challenge correctly, I am seeing 10 legs here... 2 people in the top right background. It's a great shot so I had for it not to be considered. Maybe it could be cropped a bit?

Good catch. I'll fix it before the deadline.
    Bill Banning

• Options
    edited December 10, 2012
    I think this corrects the extra leg issue. I think it actually works better overall at the 5:7 aspect ratio instead of the original 4:6.
    billseye wrote: »
    Fun challenge!

sixleg%20crop-L.jpg
    Bill Banning