Took a speed-light outside...

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited November 25, 2012 in People
Decided to get out of the middle school gym and play around with one speed-light outside (mainly because I didn't want to carry more than that on this outing). Also, I recently picked up a copy of Nik's HDR Pro 2.

How can I improve for next time? Is the post work toooooo much?

1)
i-XBZ9bNc-X2.jpg
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Nice image!
    I like it.
    The halo-ing (?) around the trees isn't bad at all...
    Single frame?
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Actually 9 frames, 1 stop apart. Never did HDR before. Probably didn't need that many but was just goofing around.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    You did a fantastic job....jmho.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 23, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    You did a fantastic job....jmho.

Thanks Art, I appreciate it.
    edited November 24, 2012
    Here is another from that same set...

2)
    i-XtFGhRH-X2.jpg

2) reprocessed
    i-BZjCZMB-XL.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 24, 2012
    You're on the right track. However for your first shot, the flash power is too high. You can mitigate that by
    dialing back the power a bit and by adding a warming gel-it doesn't take much though keep in mind that
    the more power you use, the less effect a colored gel will have.

I think the second is closer. Love the dramatic sky.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Here is another from that same set...

2)

I saw a presentation the other day on HDR so I know just that amount about it. Given that, is the photo of the person one image and the background multiple images that got the HDR treatment?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited November 24, 2012
    I saw a presentation the other day on HDR so I know just that amount about it. Given that, is the photo of the person one image and the background multiple images that got the HDR treatment?

Phil

#2 is just one photo shot raw. In Lightroom I made three versions of it. One as shot in camera, one with the exposure dropped 1 stop, and one with the exposure pushed one stop. The three were then merged in HDR Pro and then I added the non HDR version of the unaltered photo as a layer in photoshop, masked out everything except the person so the HDR background would show and sharpened that layer separately.
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    IMO, there's too much processing in #1. It looks like a composite shot, not HDR. #2 has the same problem, just not as much. I think ultimately the problem is the light source doesn't look real since it falls so strongly on the subject(s) but not on the other objects near the subjects.
    edited November 25, 2012
    IMO, there's too much processing in #1. It looks like a composite shot, not HDR. #2 has the same problem, just not as much. I think ultimately the problem is the light source doesn't look real since it falls so strongly on the subject(s) but not on the other objects near the subjects.

Ok i reworked 2) a little bit and put it under the original. Is that more in the right direction, evening out the foreground lighting, recropped, etc... or no...?
    edited November 25, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    You're on the right track. However for your first shot, the flash power is too high. You can mitigate that by
    dialing back the power a bit and by adding a warming gel-it doesn't take much though keep in mind that
    the more power you use, the less effect a colored gel will have.

I think the second is closer. Love the dramatic sky.

Yeah, I think you might be right. Thanks! One of these days I'm going to spring for a light meter. I'm seriously tempted by the new touch screen Sekonic that you can control your PW's with.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 25, 2012
    I like the original composition and overall processing in #2 better. But, I like what you did processing your subject in the updated #2 (does that make sense?).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    Man, I really digging how the clouds are obscuring that peak in the far left. I like them both myself, very dramatic. Nice catch!
  • thelightguythelightguy Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2012
    Nature is so amazing. Sure the photographers and equipment used plays a big part, but there is just something about nature that is captivating. Thanks for sharing.