Canon 350 or Nikon 50D

kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited November 30, 2005 in Cameras
Hi all
I'm new here, and have a question about which camera.

I have done a lot of looking, and thought I knew what camera I wanted. I really like the canon 20D for features but like the size and weight of the Rebel xt. Also my wife will use this camera, so simplicity is also a factor. So I had decided on the Rebel XT.

Then I get a British Mag called Digital Camera World with a review of the XT against the Nikon 50D, a lower resolution camera, (I know mega pixels is not the end all) and they claim the Nikon beats the Canon hands down.

I don't mean to start a Nikon - Canon war here, but is the Nikon really that good???

Thanks I really appreciate any advice

Ken
Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    ken wrote:
    Hi all
    I'm new here, and have a question about which camera.

I have done a lot of looking, and thought I knew what camera I wanted. I really like the canon 20D for features but like the size and weight of the Rebel xt. Also my wife will use this camera, so simplicity is also a factor. So I had decided on the Rebel XT.

Then I get a British Mag called Digital Camera World with a review of the XT against the Nikon 50D, a lower resolution camera, (I know mega pixels is not the end all) and they claim the Nikon beats the Canon hands down.

I don't mean to start a Nikon - Canon war here, but is the Nikon really that good???

Thanks I really appreciate any advice

Ken
    my friend, you have nooooo idea what you have just started. rolleyes1.gif

personally. i'd go for the nikon D50, but that is becasue i like a meatier camera. just go to the local camera shop. and try them out, whatever "feels right" go with. as long as it isn't Too out of date :)

as my sig. reads. i have a 10D. almost as good as the 20D. but just a little lacking in the high-profile end. :). '

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Go to a camera store (with your wife) and pick up both cameras. Feel them both, with kit lenses on them. Turn them on, work thru the controls and menus.

Then, take a look at images from both. Easy enough to find them on the internet. Find quality sample images, taken under the conditions you'll normally shoot.

Then decide.

Either camera will produce great images, once you learn it and apply good photographic technique.

If you ask enough people, you'll hear equal parts Nikon and Canon - so you've really got to decide for yourself which one is best for you!

All the best,
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Go to a camera store (with your wife) and pick up both cameras. Feel them both, with kit lenses on them. Turn them on, work thru the controls and menus.

Then, take a look at images from both. Easy enough to find them on the internet. Find quality sample images, taken under the conditions you'll normally shoot.

Then decide.

Either camera will produce great images, once you learn it and apply good photographic technique.

If you ask enough people, you'll hear equal parts Nikon and Canon - so you've really got to decide for yourself which one is best for you!

All the best,
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Here is my two cents. I have been looking at cameras for about a year. The first photo magazine I picked up was in Feb of 2005. I have looked at the 20D the Rebel XT and the Nikon D70. DPReview has a great side by side comp on the Rebel XT and the Nikon D70. Nikon D70 compared to Canon Rebel XT

Read carefully. You will learn a lot.

When the announcment of the D50 came out, I knew it would be a good camera but as a lower priced version of the D70 I went back to the Review at DPReviews. One thing I did not care for in the D50 was it only has a SD Slot not a CF slot. That may or may not be a big deal depending on if you own any CF media.

As you read on the two what really makes the D70 stand over the Rebel is the lens... However, the D50 does not have the same "stock" lens as the D70. Bummer.

You might want to read my questions about both here

Great comments and advice.

If your wife is going to use your camera, unless she is a serious photographer herself, if it's a dslr, it will be a COW.

Best to pick up a Point and shoot for her and pick up for yourself a D70 or XT. Ask yourself some of the questions posted to me in the link above.

I spent almost a year looking, took a second night job and bumped up to the 20D. I couldn't loose with the rebates. Glad I waited.

I know this is going to be my camera for a long while... I believe it will meet many of my needs as I learn this new hobby.

I am not bias... yet. I have a good friend who shoots Nikon and has the D70. I have to say, as I made my purchase today, I thought about the Nikon D200. $1600? Just a couple more months of the second job could get a really, really nice camera. Now I will never know. 20D should be here next week.

Hope this adds to the confusion... It has been a long journey for me. Read a lot. Go to the camera store and take your own memory cards and shoot some pictures there... Take the cards home and look them over. This might help.

Just adding to the can of worms.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 22, 2005
    Why not go with your first thought.:):

Neither the D50 or the XT are the equal of the 20D. Get the 20D - It can easily be used in the basic modes for those so inclined. My wife uses a 20D and loves it. She gets good images without a lot of hassle. AND since I use one too, when she asks how do I do this, I KNOW the anwser. If she is shooting a different camera than you, you may need toknow both inside and out...... Just a thought:D

Now, that I've upset all the nice Nikonians who post here, I will also say if the choice was the 300 or the D70, I would suggest the D70 over the 300. Both suggestions are premised on the fact that you do not yet own Nikon or Canon glass.

The best suggestion is to carefully study the lenses and accessories in the Nikon and the Canon systems, and use that information to make your decision. Camera bodies come and go almost on an annual frequency, but good lenses last almost forever.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Thanks to all who replied, We went for it all and ordered the 20D this morning from B&H.clap.gif With the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens. Hope to post some photos here soon.

Ken
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    ken wrote:
    Thanks to all who replied, We went for it all and ordered the 20D this morning from B&H.clap.gif With the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens. Hope to post some photos here soon.

Ken

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif awesome choice man!

you won't be disapointed!

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 25, 2005
    Good on Ya!! Way to go! Another convert! :D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    ken wrote:

Ken
    Congratulations Ken...you have made the correct choice.

:hide
    edited November 25, 2005
    WOW! That was quick... It took me almost a year. Mine should be here Wednesday clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif !

Peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited November 25, 2005
    Johno, I have been looking and being confused for almost that long. I just noticed you are in Wenatchee, we are in Pasco and I have taken my wife to a quilt show there. We go to leavenworth quite often. You have some great locations for outdoor photography.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    ken wrote:
    Johno, I have been looking and being confused for almost that long. I just noticed you are in Wenatchee, we are in Pasco and I have taken my wife to a quilt show there. We go to leavenworth quite often. You have some great locations for outdoor photography.
    Quilt show... I will try to take some shots of my mother's miniature quilts. She won many a contest in her day and made quilts with individual pieces as small as 3/16th inch square.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • George.George. Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    i did it
    done, i did it! I ordered a frickin camera. geezzz the painstakin thought it has taken to make a decision rolleyes1.gif
    just kidding i cant wait to get it

Canon 350D XT Black baby. Twin lenses - 18-55 and 55-200

thoughts??
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    You will love it !
    edited November 28, 2005
    ken wrote:

We should get our 20D's together sometime for a local shoot. Your are correct, there are MANY great places to shoot here... Most you have to hike into a couple miles. :D

If you come this way PM me.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited November 30, 2005
    Got mine today
    ine
    johno wrote:
    We should get our 20D's together sometime for a local shoot. Your are correct, there are MANY great places to shoot here... Most you have to hike into a couple miles. :D

If you come this way PM me.

peace.
    johno~
    I am gonna love this. I'll post some shots when I get a chance , but this is great.

I will let you know when we come that way.clap.gif