Options

Football Stars

slopersloper Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited November 23, 2005 in Technique
I am visiting London next week to take pictures of a well know football team training.
Wanted to know if there is an perfect setting to have camera set to to capture faster moving images.

My idea is to try and capture the players whilst training, but have only ever taken still shots before.

Any help would be mcuh appreciated

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    Sloper,

We need to know a lot more about the following:

Camera
    Lens(es)
    Setting or location
    Time of day
    Intent, how are the images going to be used

Generally, if you are talking about sports/action photography, a dSLR at relatively high ISO and with a fast lens, around f2 or f2.8, is very much indicated. This is critical for night work, but the large aperture helps to isolate the subject during day shots also. Large aperture lenses also tend to be better quality and focus a bit faster.

It will help you tremendously to practice on local sports, as it takes a while to get your timing correct with any particular camera. Anticipation is often important.

It's also beneficial if you have a helper/spotter to help watch the action, since you are going to be a bit preoccupied with the mechanics of the shot, and you may miss some peripheral action otherwise.

By all means, share your results.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    slopersloper Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Camera is a Konica Minolta 5D

I have stock Lens, and also a 100-200 Lens.
    I know that it is a foot ball stadium, but dont know much details as sister had all of that info.
    We are going to be there form about noon till 4 and looking at the weather, it is probably going to be Sunny and cold for the forseeable future now.

Wanting mainly to get at least a few great shots so that these can be enlarged to maybe A4 or larger, and framed.

Bearing in mind this football team are not playing against another team at all, so hopefully the pace of the pictures may be kept down a little.

The still shots afterwards should not pose to much of a problem. (Hopefully)

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    sloper wrote:
    Camera is a Konica Minolta 5D
    The KM 5D is a good camera and fairly appropriate for the task. Count on using the ISO 1600 and good noise reduction software.
    sloper wrote:
    I have stock Lens, and also a 100-200 Lens.
    I think you will find the 18-70mm "kit" lens a bit short for your purpose. If you have the Minolta 100-200m F4.5, it's an older lens but has a fair reputation. I think you will find this your primary lens for shots from the sideline and goal. Focus speed is supposed to be a bit slow, so help it out by pre-focussing when possible. Tracking subjects moving quickly towards or away from your position may prove difficult.
    sloper wrote:
    I know that it is a foot ball stadium, but dont know much details as sister had all of that info.
    We are going to be there form about noon till 4 and looking at the weather, it is probably going to be Sunny and cold for the forseeable future now.

Wanting mainly to get at least a few great shots so that these can be enlarged to maybe A4 or larger, and framed.

Bearing in mind this football team are not playing against another team at all, so hopefully the pace of the pictures may be kept down a little.

The still shots afterwards should not pose to much of a problem. (Hopefully)

headscratch.gif
    By 4 PM you will have lost much of the light and may have problems holding enough shutter speed to stop rapid action. Clouds or cloudiness may further complicate the situation so hope for a bright, sun-shiny day. The Anti-Shake feature of the 5D will help if you don't have a tripod.

If there is any way you can borrow a 70 (80)-200mm, f2.8 lens, Minolta or other brand, I think you will be so much happier with the extra speed and the resulting photos.

Best of luck and let us know how it went,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums