College Basketball Poster

zSCOTTzzSCOTTz Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited December 23, 2012 in Sports
Basketball poster I did after shooting their game.Spring Arbor Poster 3fm.jpg

Comments

• Options
    spurs73spursspurs73spurs Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    This looks brilliant. Do you know where I can learn to do this? I have tried something similar without the lightning. I am really new to photoshoping like this.

Here is mine
    http://chriskelly.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/23413842_GhJfsb#!i=2038559105&k=vJVttBq&lb=1&s=A
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    zSCOTTz wrote: »
    Basketball poster I did after shooting their game.Spring Arbor Poster 3fm.jpg

I like your work . . . if the schedule was included in one corner it would be a great item for the team.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2012
    This looks brilliant. Do you know where I can learn to do this? I have tried something similar without the lightning. I am really new to photoshoping like this.

Here is mine
    http://chriskelly.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/23413842_GhJfsb#!i=2038559105&k=vJVttBq&lb=1&s=A

I have been "toying" with this for a couple of years now using Photoshop Elements, stock images from EZBackgrounds, and my own stock images.

Here are some I did at the end of the football season :

09%20DL%20Tiger-L.jpg

07%20LH%20All%20State-L.jpg

15%20AH%20All%20ECC%20Football%20Grunge-L.jpg

23%20CB%20Splatter-L.jpg

30%20TR-L.jpg

82%20AG%20All%20ECC-L.jpg

I know that these are nowhere near the quality that some of the other "grinners" can create, but the technique used to create them are within my knowledge/experience level and I do make a little extra money off of them.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    IMHO I think a poster should incorporate the team's mascot, in this case the Cougars, or be generic. I was expecting this team's name to be Lightning, Thunder, or Storm. I saw Cougar and went "huh?"
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Some nice sports posters here. The OP's done a nice job with the black and the lightening. Very powerful.
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    zSCOTTzzSCOTTz Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012

Here is mine

Chris, I have only been playing with photoshop for a few months when I have time. I just try different things until I found something I liked. I learned to work in layers by doing research online. Once you learn to work in layers, I think it becomes easier. I just look to the internet for inspiration, and to learn different things about photoshop.
  • Options
    spurs73spursspurs73spurs Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    zSCOTTz, thanks for your reply. I will be sitting on my computer for a while now to learn this hahaha, time permitting of course. I love you design a lot.

73Rocks, you images are also brilliant. I really like the 2nd & 4th ones.

Looks like I have a lot to learn. I hope to post something as good as these in the near future. I am glad I have joined this forum as I have learned something already, thanks guys.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2012
    zSCOTTz, thanks for your reply. I will be sitting on my computer for a while now to learn this hahaha, time permitting of course. I love you design a lot.

73Rocks, you images are also brilliant. I really like the 2nd & 4th ones.

Looks like I have a lot to learn. I hope to post something as good as these in the near future. I am glad I have joined this forum as I have learned something already, thanks guys.

Thanks for the positive feedback . . . I appreciate it.

It took me a while to get the hang of things too, but persistance pays off. I got a lot of tips and inspiration from this forum.

One thing I do is while I am at an event, even if there isn't any action going on. I never pass up an opportunity to get a good picture. A lot of my posters/collages are a combination of a player in a static/non-action image combined with an action image or two or maybe even three. You just have to figure out what you like and what the potential customers want.