Can I get a color balance check?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 27, 2012 in People
How do the colors look on this shot? They look great on my calibrated monitor at home but a little funky on my uncalibrated monitors at work. I color balanced from a gray card/. :scratch Oh... and I intend to clean up the cobwebs on the bridge.

BTW, low res photo from Facebook:

269999_386259961458827_1725458628_n.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Uncalibrated screen here but the skin tones look fine.

As a whole, I'm seeing a slight bit of a yellow cast to it. That happens to me all the time using a gray card in woodsy areas. I think the gray card picks up ambient light from the trees but I'm never quite happy with gray card results in those areas.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    To me, though the skin tones are relatively accurate, the scene as a whole has a bit of a washed out look..perhaps a tad underexposed. Agree with the slight yellow cast.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Thanks Bilsen. I don't mind the warm/yellow cast on the overall scene as long as the skin tones are good.

Doc... underexposed? headscratch.gif Anyone else think so?

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I think the skin tones look a bit muddy on my uncalibrated monitor. too much brown.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    I think the skin tones look a bit muddy on my uncalibrated monitor. too much brown.

Thanks for the look Daniel. I'll check them again when I get home. There's a lot of brown/tans/yellows in the image so it makes it a pain to judge.

My Smug Site
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I agree with Daniel -- a bit muddy to me. I don't think it's underexposed at all -- perhaps a tad overexposed, but more importantly to my taste it feels like it's lacking contrast. The light is flat anyhow, so perhaps if you were to make up for it by adding contrast everything would pop a bit more.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    AC, the histogram is pretty flat. I would try backing the saturation down a little, as well as the exposure a tic. Skin tones look good, just a little saturated
    edited November 26, 2012
    Hmm.... Novice saying the histie is flat leads me to believe there may be some issues with the compression when I exported for FB. Here is the same image but from my Smug page and also another shot but in landscape orientation. WB and edits are the same on both.

Still flat/muddy?

i-qKMVfwh-X3.jpg

i-vWrd2KM-X2.jpg

BTW, thanks for the help guys. Really appreciated.

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2012
    I would say still back down sat and exp. The first three faces look a tad hot. Full image doesn't look muddy to me. Probably a compression issue as you mentioned. I wonder if the camera did pick up the golden grass color like mentioned above also? But the WB looks great, checking various areas.
  • Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    To me, though the skin tones are relatively accurate, the scene as a whole has a bit of a washed out look..perhaps a tad underexposed. Agree with the slight yellow cast.

Overexposed..sorry, it was early.
    edited November 26, 2012
    That makes more sense. I definitely lean towards the bright side of exposure... it's my personal taste. It's not for everyone so I understand if you feel they are tad hot. Blown highlights in places like the BG don't concern me too much and I've found that the people I shoot like my bright images. Makes life a bit easier because I'd be chucking about 50% of my shots. :cry

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2012
    I would say still back down sat and exp. The first three faces look a tad hot. Full image doesn't look muddy to me. Probably a compression issue as you mentioned. I wonder if the camera did pick up the golden grass color like mentioned above also? But the WB looks great, checking various areas.

Hmm... as I said, I like my images like I like my women. HOT. Laughing.gif. Sorry. Had to say it.

But kidding aside, there is no loss of detail on the faces. Only thing blown and barely, are the highlights in the BG. Are you on a calibrated monitor? The images don't feel over-saturated to me. I don't touch saturation in post so you got me wondering. ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    2nd shot looks much improved. look at the hair on the girl closest to camera..much more contrast and with improved black point. STILL..the whole image is just a bit muddy in color though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited November 26, 2012
    I calibrated this one about two weeks ago, maybe I need to do it again. Me, I like my images warm and rich. Probably wouldn't be a big hit to some. No I didn't see any clipping on the highs, other than one or two areas in the BG, no major deal. For grins, try this, open in LR and back down the overall saturation (edit>meant exposure) about 5%, then compare the two images. See what you think of their faces when you do that. This will also by default allow the blacks to pump a tad. More contrasty as some above said. It would be so subtle, unless pointed out, no one would notice. But it's one of those potato/ potatoe things. Always open to discussion lol.

Bottom line is, whatever sells is a winner!

Edited for correction
    edited November 26, 2012
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. Daniel... I checked the Exif on the two shots and the landscape I used a slightly fast shutter so that explains the difference. I'm going to tinker with the exposure on the other one to match.

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2012
    OK homies. I made some minor tweaks to the exposure on both. I republished the shots to my smug gallery so I think that updates the pics hotlinked in the post.

Whatcha think?

Oh, and here is another frame of the same shot just in case the other two didn't update in the post:

i-HkxnQ2q-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    If anything, this goes to show how FB murders images and why on earth do we use FB to share our work with clients?
    The originals look great on my calibrated monitor by the way.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 26, 2012
    One teeny notice...
    The girl up front, her right hand looks way off color cast wise compared to her left hand. I know the sun appears to have made a hot spot there but what ever you did to tone it down made for a very magenta hue which puts it out of place in my opinion.
    This is on the last image :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 26, 2012
    I see that Rey... the right hand thing. Weird. I did no local adjustments.

My Smug Site
    edited November 27, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    If anything, this goes to show how FB murders images and why on earth do we use FB to share our work with clients?

Because the benefits far outweigh the issues with image quality. I've gotten quite a few gigs because of FB and TBH, average person is totally clueless to most of the "image quality problems" that we photogs see in photos.

My Smug Site
    edited November 27, 2012
    Because the benefits far outweigh the issues with image quality. I've gotten quite a few gigs because of FB and TBH, average person is totally clueless to most of the "image quality problems" that we photogs see in photos.

You have a good point there
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 27, 2012
    Ac I like the rework. It has more depth and the family do stand out from the BG more. Faces are more detailed for sure. Though I don't FB, I definitely agree on the networking there. Sounds like you are running into compression issues on FB like I did some time back, until Imageshack was worked over. Lol, talk about murdering pictures. Ughh

You might be able to host them on another site (SM or Zen) and drop the hyperlink next to the smaller picture on FB and say, much better when viewed larger at link?
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Nice shot. Add a smidge of black point and that last one looks really nice.
    Great looking group.