Options

DSS #117 - Painting with Light

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited December 10, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #117 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, November 26, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, December 10th, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Painting with Light

Its getting darker out for most of us, but for those down under who are in their longer days, this challenge can still be done indoors! Always fun to learn!

Need a tutorial on painting with light?: TUTORIALS

Here are some examples: PICTURES

Titles should not be more than 4 words, keep 'em short!

There are no editing restrictions this round!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

117 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge
RULES.

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!:deal

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Way cool!! I get to play with steel wool and light orbs again! clap.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Ah memories, last time we did light painting the old barn I used was a great place now the is a new natural gas well right behind it. So I guess I dont have to go battle with rattlesnakes and owls but it was a good time.
    Have to make time to do this one light painting is mucho fun
    Barnpainted-L.jpg
    Barnpainted2-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    marantophotographymarantophotography Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    This will be cool, can't wait to see all the results!
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Cool! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Glad you all are in the spirit of the challenge! Have fun!
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    Ahhhh, I've been out of the Picture for awhile, but this is one my favorites subjects! Here is my last attempt at playing with Light "Lasers in Fog".
    Home made Northern Lights, Lasers in Fog.

Looking forward to seeing this round, I will come up with something..... Keith
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    kwickers wrote: »
    Ahhhh, I've been out of the Picture for awhile, but this is one my favorites subjects! Here is my last attempt at playing with Light "Lasers in Fog".
    DSC_0061-Edit-M.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this round, I will come up with something..... Keith

It's so Christmasy with the red and green colors! :) I don't have any laser lights like that, but I used computer generated lights.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,952 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2012
    I wasn't going to do this one because it is really beyond my skills. But then I saw a night light in the hall and had an idea. It's not exactly what I think you had in mind I think, but it sort of looks like some of the pictures you listed. What I did was use the camera set as it was for the LAST challenge (dark) and go into the bathroom with no lights on, and aim at the little green light on my toothbrush that was charging and try to write my name by moving the camera. It came out more like a flower than a signature, but that's OK. Little baby steps.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I wasn't going to do this one because it is really beyond my skills. But then I saw a night light in the hall and had an idea. It's not exactly what I think you had in mind I think, but it sort of looks like some of the pictures you listed. What I did was use the camera set as it was for the LAST challenge (dark) and go into the bathroom with no lights on, and aim at the little green light on my toothbrush that was charging and try to write my name by moving the camera. It came out more like a flower than a signature, but that's OK. Little baby steps.

Good for you! That is the point of these challenges. To have you try something new that you never would have thought to try on your own, using the equipment you have. Kudos! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2012
    There are so many ways of 'painting with light' such as this steel rose I photographed for a friend popping a flash 360 degrees around it at two levels..... (a few shots layer blended)

i-LVcJ9Fq-XL.jpg

Or a method I played with several years ago walking through a laser level light toward the camera acting as a full scale scanner... rolleyes1.gif

249564732_upNka-L.jpg

249564823_6r2QQ-L.jpg

249564688_QzLkk-L.jpg

With questions of interpretation, hopefully I've chosen the appropriate methods. mwink.gif joke... Will be late tomorrow before I get a chance to display. Painting with light in any way is always fun! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited December 9, 2012
    Wish I had time to participate but will have to settle for seeing what you all do!

Gretchen
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Well, here goes.. It's been so long since I last participated, I'm just hoping I get this right.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Not sure if my last minute entry will count as the time of the photo taken is in Eastern time, which is 3 hours difference. Exif does not show time zones... Has this been discussed before?

Troy
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2012
    Not sure if my last minute entry will count as the time of the photo taken is in Eastern time, which is 3 hours difference. Exif does not show time zones... Has this been discussed before?

Troy

Time zones are taken into account. Obviously you entered it before the challenge has closed, so your good to go!thumb.gif