Options

Kiley Family

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 29, 2012 in People
Had the pleasure of shooting this family on Sunday. Great group to work with. It was nice to shoot a family where everyone wants to actively participate in the session. Makes life easier. Here are a few from the session.

i-GGFhnwR-XL.jpg

i-mwJHFp6-X2.jpg

i-HkxnQ2q-XL.jpg

i-J2NW9cS-X2.jpg

i-DgxjQ3H-X2.jpg

i-GMfX4t5-X2.jpg

i-Q6cvDhF-XL.jpg

i-vGBtf4h-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Fabulous job, Alex. clap.gif The only thing I might do is lose the almost-growing-out-of-the-subject trunk and branch in 2 & 5
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Thanks guys. Diva... The trunk in 2 bugs me and I was debating if I should remove it, which I will now. The other doesn't bother me too much but it looks like an easy job to get rid of so I may do so while I'm at it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    Just the pale one in #2 - the other is fine for me (probably because you can see where it grows into its leaves more clearly) :)
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    OK... I did some tweaks to this whole series and I also cloned out that tree in #2. Thanks for the input.

Photos in the OP were updated to new versions.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    thumb.gif

Btw, what did you use to light #2? I really like the way you lit their faces.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Very simple setup. I used an SB900 speedlight with a large shoot-through umbrella on all the shots.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    great shots, man! What a fun family!

I got to say, though, I think some images could benefit from more cropping. and in 2, girls fingers are slightly cut off (only reason I saw that because I was thinking of the crops that you be done on that one.)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Thanks Foques. Yeah... I purposely did not crop these in post. Leaving room because they're going to order prints. Yes, #2 I kind of got too close to her hand in camera. Didn't notice until I got home. That shot looks really awesome cropped as an 8x10. Fortunately, it won't get any tighter width wise. I actually took to consecutive frames of that one. The other shot has more room to the left but from what I remember, I framed it a little higher. I can probably composite the two shots to recover the fingers though. Will have to look again.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    I'm looking over the cloning out of the tree in #2 - I like the overall effect without the tree, but if you're paying attention the fence is missing an upright post. The one nearer looks like it has about the right amount of shade on it.

Overall, wonderful pictures! Your setup may be simple, but you know how to use it to great effect.
    edited November 28, 2012
    Nice job. I haven't compared them, but I think this version of #3 looks much better than the first one you posted asking for color help. What changes did you make?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Really enjoyed 4 & 8
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    red_zone wrote: »
    I'm looking over the cloning out of the tree in #2 - I like the overall effect without the tree, but if you're paying attention the fence is missing an upright post. The one nearer looks like it has about the right amount of shade on it.

Overall, wonderful pictures! Your setup may be simple, but you know how to use it to great effect.

Thanks. Great eye. The tree I cloned out was covering the missing post and I didn't even notice it.
    Gotham wrote: »
    Nice job. I haven't compared them, but I think this version of #3 looks much better than the first one you posted asking for color help. What changes did you make?

I selected a different spot to set the black point. I think it was the deep shadow directly below the front girls right ear. That darkened things up a bit. I also lowered the exposure just a tad. Combo warmed things up.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Really enjoyed 4 & 8

Thanks Chuck. You're one of the folks I try to impress so I'm glad you like them.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    Much has already been said and overall I really like these but I have pet peeves concerning blown areas of which in my opinion can distract from the subjects. That being said, the image that I like most (number 3) also has the most areas in peripheral that are blown out and I'm a bit bothered by them.
    Also I find the young ladies backside a bit odd because of the pose in #6
    My two cents
    Yo soy Reynaldo