Options

Backpacking the AT: Bearsden to Harpers Ferry, Antietam

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited December 5, 2012 in Journeys
For Veteran's Day, my wife and I got together a big group of our friends for the last backpacking trip of 2012 (this is my third backpacking Journeys thread).

Our route consisted of two days of backpacking, followed by visiting Antietam Battlefield on Veteran's Day.

We drove out Friday night to Bearsden Hostel, shuttled a car to the Harpers Ferry visitor's center, and stayed in their campground.
DSC_7596-XL.jpg

The next morning we stopped at the hostel to fill up on water
DSC_7598-XL.jpg

and enjoyed the views from the rock ledge directly across the AT from the connector trail. (I think Bearsden Rocks are a bit further south, judging by mileage markers we saw later)
DSC_7600-XL.jpg

DSC_7607-XL.jpg

It was a chilly morning, but by the time we had gone a mile, we were all sweating and ready to take off lots of layers.

I was fascinated by the textures we saw along the trail
DSC_7609-XL.jpg

The section we did before lunch was the tail end of the AT section known as the "rollercoaster", so named for its' undulating profile. It did afford some nice views:
DSC_7611-XL.jpg

DSC_7612-XL.jpg
Mostly, however, it was wooded.

Lunch was a welcome respite.
DSC_7615-XL.jpg

Towards the end of the day I was dragging, and skipped a few more overlook side-paths. The rest of the group came in ahead of me to the AT shelter, and Kula was very excited that I finally showed up!
DSC_7621-XL.jpg

We all collapsed when we got in. Ten loooong miles.
DSC_7623-XL.jpg

Another hiker breezed in after we had all been sitting in a stupor for 10 minutes. We checked his map because there was no way that was JUST ten miles, and we wanted to see how far tomorrow's hike would be.
DSC_7634-XL.jpg

After another 3/4 mile round trip to gather water, we decided we were too exhausted to set up our tents, so we took over the shelter. We offered to the other group to share, but they didn't seem too keen. The morning broke clear and bright. Sore and stiff, we hated it for coming so early.
DSC_7635-XL.jpg

DSC_7637-XL.jpg

DSC_7639-XL.jpg

DSC_7646-XL.jpg

We ate breakfast and went round again to the spring for water, then set off for the day. Long gentle downhill stretches were a welcome change from the steep ascents and descents of Saturday.
DSC_7649-XL.jpg

I was in the zone and didn't remember to stop for pictures until we'd practically reached our destination.
Once we got close to Harpers Ferry we started to see civil war earthworks on Loudon Heights. We hiked down next to this... road, we'll call it. It's now a very straight ditch.
DSC_7652-L.jpg

We worked our way down Loudon Heights to the bridge on Rt. 340.
DSC_7661-XL.jpg

DSC_7664-XL.jpg

And then into town. I caught a bus to the visitor's center before getting into town (very picturesque!) so didn't get any photos. Shuttling the cars and drivers took until well after dark. Some of the group split for home, and those that had Veteran's Day off from work stayed on at the Antietam Creek Campground (we were one of two campsites taken)

The next morning we filtered water from the Potomac, as they'd already winterized the pumps for the season.
DSC_7681-XL.jpg

DSC_7684-XL.jpg

We struck camp and headed up to the Battlefield. For those of you who aren't aware, National Parks have free admission on Veteran's Day. I highly encourage visiting your local park or battlefield.
DSC_7697-XL.jpg

DSC_7706-XL.jpg
It was a bit blustery and overcast, so we opted for a driving tour after the video.

DSC_7710-XL.jpg
It's so pretty - it's hard to imagine 23,000 Americans died here in a single day, September 17, 1862.

DSC_7732-XL.jpg
Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross, cared for the wounded of both sides in the farmhouses dotted throughout the fields.

DSC_7755-XL.jpg

DSC_7763-XL.jpg
The graveyard had plenty of 1860's graves, but of family members who sickened and died during the war.

DSC_7779-XL.jpg

DSC_7794-XL.jpg

DSC_7804-XL.jpg
The Sunken Lane was a holding point for both sides at different times during the day.

DSC_7820-XL.jpg

DSC_7836-XL.jpg

Though the visit was sobering, the weather was chilly and damp, it was still early afternoon so we decided to stop by a winery or two on our way home.
DSC_7853-XL.jpg
Hiddencroft Vineyards

Well, thanks for scrolling through another one of my trips! I hope you've enjoyed the pictures.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited December 1, 2012
    What a great way to spend the weekend!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    Very entertaining travelogue Jake - some fine shots in there.
    In 2005 I visited the region for the first time - I was surprised at how profoundly affected I was when visiting the battlefields... sobering indeed.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    Thanks Ian - a weekend outdoors is always a good weekend.

Thanks Eric for the kind words about my photos.
    I too was quite moved by my first battlefield visit. Standing there in the fields where so many soldiers fell somehow makes it real to me in a way that no documentary can. Antietam is one of the most evocative for me, although I still want to go to Gettysburg. Growing up in the southwest, it's so odd to now be living virtually on top of battlements - there are earthworks around the southeastern portion of D.C. that still remain from that period. I don't think they ever saw much action though.
    edited December 5, 2012