Cock Fight Documentary - Feedback Required

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited December 4, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Below is a link to a short documentary about cock fighting that I've put together using still images and text slides. Some of the images have been uploaded in a previous thread.

It's my first attempt at trying something like this so I'd appreciate any comments you have regarding content and format, in particular whether you think the images should be B&W, colour or a mixture of both.

https://vimeo.com/54431639
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    I'm really pleased to see you putting a series together. It's an aspect of this forum I'd like to see increase.

Here are a few immediate comments.
    • Several very fine images. Some confronting ones as well. Technical aspects of the shots were also very nice. I'm guessing getting a colour version of it to hold together would require a lot of effort. That said, I don't think I'd try to mix colour and b&w in this.
    • I understand why the text was necessary to set the stage. But it started to become expositional insomuch that you'd tell me what I'm about to see then show it in a few images to support the sentence. It felt a little too slideshow-y. I'll need to think a little more on how I'd continue both a text and image narrative.

Still, awesome stuff and I encourage others to have a look. It's worth the six minutes.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 1, 2012
    Ve'y well done Sync. Great images. B/W was the right choice
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 2, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    • I understand why the text was necessary to set the stage. But it started to become expositional insomuch that you'd tell me what I'm about to see then show it in a few images to support the sentence. It felt a little too slideshow-y. I'll need to think a little more on how I'd continue both a text and image narrative.

Nice set of images. The gambling aspect comes through better here than it did in the series you posted earlier. I think it could be improved by making the text into captions of selected images, and letting the images with captions stay up longer than the ones without (for the benefit of slow readers).
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    I think combining images/text on the same slide will improve the immediacy of both and get away from the 'tell then show' feel that it now has, so thanks for the suggestion.

I've a couple more themes to apply the same treatment to and will post these in due course.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951