Options

Handball Albany, New York Open 2012

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 1, 2012
    Looks like a great tourney. Several great pics.

I'm not sure but to me, the white balance looks a little off. They also look a bit soft.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dgebbendgebben Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    Tuff stuff to shoot
    Photographing Handball is uniquely different. At times I have to shoot through plexie glass that is all marred and sweet covered. Other times I can get a spot from above shooting down into the court but always at bad angles. Then there is the lighting and very court can have different types of bulbs. Then one has to deal with outside glass walls, reflections, no tripods, and a ball that travel 50 to 60 miles an hour in a court that is 40X20X20 with human bodies flying around. My camera is a Nikon D90 with
    the 18-200mm DX ED GII VR with post possessing in Lightroom 4. Not the best for low light, fast action indoor sport shooting.

Your comment is right on target and I need to work on getting these tack sharp, appreciated any and all advise to increase the quality of my work. Like what would be the best setting for the D90? When I shoot handball I am in the sports mode with burst mode on, NO flash, white balance is set to Auto.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    I used to play racquetball, and I know how the lighting could be... not so great...

Instead of using a pre-set mode, get your D90 into Manual (M) mode, set a shutter speed to freeze motion (i.e 1/250 or more), then use your ISO to get the correct exposure.
    Set your white balance to Kelvin (K) mode, and start adjusting your white balance according to the lighting in the court.

Since you're using a variable aperture lens... I think it may be a bit more complicated than what I mentioned, if using M mode.

An alternative would be to set your WB using K mode, then set your camera to SS priority mode set to 1/250+, and limit your ISO in the settings to probably 1600 max.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    dgebbendgebben Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    Thank you
    Wow! That sound like the place to start. I will try what you suggest in Feb. at my next tournament. I'll have plenty of time before matches to test this out. Great advise and thanks again. Anything else? Or does anyone have ideas on this difficult subject?
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    Goodluck!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.