edited December 4, 2012 in Street and Documentary
smugshot_9763088-L.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    Good shot! The man's expression is excellent. Is the blue-green cast intentional?
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    Thanks Juano. I shot this with Hipstamatic on the iPhone. The blue-green look is one of the many built in filters. I thought it went well with the mood and the fog. I know many in this forum are against filters since it is a documentary forum but I think it is ok to use it because the same can be accomplished in camera by throwing the white-balance. I don't want this post however to become a debate on ethics however.
    My Website
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 3, 2012
    I think the filter gives it an old faded Polaroid or Kodachrome look. thumb.gif

I would've preferred if you opened up the framed composition more. I agree with Juano abouth the man's expression but had you allowed a long lens shot to the left, showing the long empty street with the heavier fog in the distance (which is just slightly visible now) you would've had a more intriquing portrait.

edited December 3, 2012
    Angelo wrote: »
    I think the filter gives it an old faded Polaroid or Kodachrome look. thumb.gif

I would've preferred if you opened up the framed composition more. I agree with Juano abouth the man's expression but had you allowed a long lens shot to the left, showing the long empty street with the heavier fog in the distance (which is just slightly visible now) you would've had a more intriquing portrait.

Thanks, I agree, I wish I shot this with more depth however I did shoot this up close from the hip. I feel a long lens in street photography is cheating a bit.
    My Website
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 3, 2012
    Thanks, I agree, I wish I shot this with more depth however I did shoot this up close from the hip. I feel a long lens in street photography is cheating a bit.

Sorry, I didn't mean long lens in that way. I meant more depth as you've indicated
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    nice, great vintage look
    edited December 3, 2012
    Thanks damonff
    My Website
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Great shot.. the composition could be improved in that the space to the left of the man is essential saying not much at all. I think I would have taken shot so he was to the centre left of image - and more of the area to the right showing - in to the ares he is facing.
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
    edited December 4, 2012
    karloznz wrote: »
    Great shot.. the composition could be improved in that the space to the left of the man is essential saying not much at all. I think I would have taken shot so he was to the centre left of image - and more of the area to the right showing - in to the ares he is facing.

Thanks Karloznz, like I said I shot this from the hip. Didn't really frame the shot. I'm just glad I got the guy at the right time.
    My Website