Options

New Poster - Comments?

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited December 8, 2012 in Sports
A new poster attempt. Thoughts on the smaller photo up front?

i-5tBdGNd-XL.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    love it !
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    I like the poster a lot, but I don't care for the text that is hidden behind the players feet. One, I can't read the word and two, because I can't read the word it is very distracting. I like the smaller photo in the front.

Just my $.02.

Sherry
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    I like that alot.

A couple things I'd continue to play with if it were mine: The big blank white "negative space" below the text box. IMO, it's too powerful and it makes my eye keep doing down. The text behind the athlete.

I'd play around with putting some of the actual gym floor into the bottom 1/3'rd of the poster. I do this in the gymnastics posters I create. In fact, at lulls in the competition, I'll get shots of the FloorX floor, empty, and sometimes other apparatis's, incase I want to use them later as the background.

Might be cool to the floor in color, fade to the B&W floor of the background photo, and then bring the typography in somewhere in the fade region.

I've also done the typography so it looks like it's cut out of the floor. I've actually had people ask, "How'd they get the team's name into the carpet (FloorX) like that?"

Anyway, just thinking outloud. Posters a ton of fun, especially if you're creating them, and not just just doing generic "template" type work.

Nice job!
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    It's nice but personally I would make the front picture of the player much bigger, I think as is it makes him look diminutive. In order to do this, maybe move the monochrome background image so his face is off to the right, and/or have the front image go down closer to the bottom of the poster.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Let me take another shot at this.

MD
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2012
    This is my final version I went with. Thanks for the suggestions.

i-CwrZRmm-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited December 8, 2012
    I like it as it has a nice clean look. I'm not crazy about the text behind the legs either (unless you know the team name, you're out of luck) but I can live with it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?