Options

7d 5d or 1d

jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited December 22, 2012 in Sports
in any versions primarily for sports which one and why ? (currently using t2i)

thanks

Comments

• Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    If you have the money, 1D...of course...

If not, 7D gives you the reach and better AF.
    5D gives you better High-ISO performance, but less accuracy in AF (5Dmk2).

I think 1D shouldn't be classified with the other two, because it is a pro-camera unlike the 7D and 5D.

Between the prosumer bodies, 7D.
    Between all three, if you have the money, 1D.

Or you can invest in quality glass, versus buying a body.
    Quality glass lasts a lot longer.

Mediocre glass on pro body vs quality glass on prosumer body? Definitely the former.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    appreciate your input .Yes glass i am moving to first will be a 70-200 2.8 L as a start. have read quite a bit on the 7D but not so much on the others. thats why I was wondering id the 5D v2 or even an older version pf the 1D may be a better choice? My current lenses for sports (mainly hockey) 100mm 2.8 and 70-300 is for outdoor sports
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    I used the 7D with the 70-200mm f2.8L non-IS for shooting sports for a year before moving up to the 1D. The 7D has a crop factor 1.6 which brings the action a little closer compared to the 1D. The 7D is great for shooting outdoors, however, is just okay up to ISO 3200. If shooting indoors, an f2.8 or faster is highly recommended, especially shooting in high school gyms. The 5D is a great camera for portraits and landscapes. However, for sports, I would not recommend the 5D as the shutter speed is too slow.
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Just shot girls gymnastics with a 7D. Enjoyed the much faster mode (than my former 40D and 50D), the better focusing speed, and the better high ISO performance. Thought about the 5DmkIII, but I think I need the crop factor and the faster burst for what I do. There are some great deals on used 7D's, and the Canon Customer Loyalty Program will deliver a refurb'd "brand new" one for under $1,200, including tax and shipping.....if you'll be kind enough to send them any kind of broken (or not) Canon camera. I grabbed an Elf off CL for $10 and sent that to them, using the shipping label they emailed me.

So I'd say, 7D, unless you've got tall dollars to spend on the 1D of your dreams!
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    If the 1D4 or 5D3 are out of the question, the 7D is the best sports bang for the buck. The reach is very useful especially for field sports. The 1D3 would be another option, as it has slightly better high ISO performance and faster fps, but it has much less resolution and reach than the 7D.

Here's a 7D shot of mine at ISO 3200

IMG_5563-X2.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2012
    Thanks for the posts folks .Thanks for laying that out for me jmphotgraph That puts it in perspective for me !
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2012
    If the 1D4 or 5D3 are out of the question, the 7D is the best sports bang for the buck. The reach is very useful especially for field sports. The 1D3 would be another option, as it has slightly better high ISO performance and faster fps, but it has much less resolution and reach than the 7D.

Here's a 7D shot of mine at ISO 3200

IMG_5563-X2.jpg

Nice photo. I wish the gym I shoot in had this much light.
  • Options
    zSCOTTzzSCOTTz Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    I have the 7D and have no complaints using it. I did up the sharpness in the menu though. I also have the 1D Mark IV, which I love and is alot better in low light vs the 7d. So if you can afford it, the 1D Mark IV is excellent, but if not, the 7D is also good. You do need nice glass to go with it though for low light gyms.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    jm laid out some good info (and great shot), but one bit of minor dissent or clarification regarding 1D3. Yes 7D has higher resolution, but a more cropped sensor. For sports how much is enough and where is the trade off? I have the 1D3 and have not used the 7D other than in camera store so no expert, but I would suggest the "lower resolution" critique be considered with some thought on what you really need and what you trade for it. When faced with same exact choice a year ago I went 1D3 for sturdier build, larger sensor, and other features. Also, no video which was not a factor for me but you may differ.

'Pro' level pictures certainly possible with either, weigh your needs and pick a horse.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    I have noticed a lot more 1D4's for sale at reasonable prices now the 1DX is out. Just a thought.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    1D.. I have the X, it's my baby now. Previous was a 5DII. I'll probably dump my 5DII if Canon comes out with a 7DII just so I can get the crop and have one cropped and one FF body. AF on the 1DX is amazing. 1D4 (borrowed from Canon) was nice, but the X is better and much more customizable. Now that I've figured everything out, I'm getting a much higher capture rate (vs OOF) with my X than I was with my 5DII and Center focus only. Yeah, it's not a real comparison, but for me it's worth it, not only that but the voice annotation is a MUST for me and news work...
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    Shooting with the t2i and a borrowed 70-200 2.8 I did get some nice hockey shots . However i did end up cropping a fair amount of the keepers.I am finding that I do not get alot of keepers out a game many are slightly out of focus .The lense will come first for sure ,(hard to justfy all of this as an enthusiest lol) but the 7D may be my next step.I am one who has many hobbies.I am a guitarist of 35 years with all pro gear that a rarely touch anymore , so i am move some gear to aquire the gear i desire , depending on what i move will depend on the body i buy . thanks for your input