Pushing the shadow detail limits?? with a challenge entry

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 23, 2005 in Finishing School
Here is my "for the birds" challenge entry:

45685661-L.jpg

I used all my best stuff to get great shadows here with plenty of feather detail even in the deepest shadows. I started here:

45689026-L.jpg

Then I made a false separation into CMYK, CGR, Light, 50% black ink limit. The result was a very light black channel which I could steepen and sharpen mercilessly. I then substituted this into the black channel of a conventionally converted CMYK version and used selective color to remove the c,m,&y under colors. There was more to it, including a trip to LAB to regain some of the dark brown color and pull back a little more detail from the deepest shadow.

So I'm happy with it. Looks good on my scrupulously adjusted Apple monitor. The numbers look good. I know I can make great prints of it.

But here's the question. Have I pushed this too far for a dgrin challenge? How many people are going to see this shot the way it was meant to be seen? Firstly, it won't be as large on most monitors as on mine. Secondly, I suspect most monitors aren't well adjusted and those carefully corrected shadow details will plug.

Opinions, please.
If not now, when?

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    OK, one more attempt. I purposfully opened up the shadows at the base of his neck a little more than I think I should have had to. Doesn't look as good to me, but I suspect it will play better on a middle of the road monitor.

45689906-L.jpg

Yes? No?
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    It is much better on my monitor, Rutt. I can make out most of his face and shadow detail. It is not bright, but it is there, at least. In the first attempt, the good one on your monitor, my monitor couldn't handle it.

Cool bird!

Good idea, now if you can just find that woodpecker everyone is after, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    It is much better on my monitor, Rutt. I can make out most of his face and shadow detail. It is not bright, but it is there, at least. In the first attempt, the good one on your monitor, my monitor couldn't handle it.

Cool bird!

Good idea, now if you can just find that woodpecker everyone is after, smile.

ginger

Thanks, Ginger. No change to his face, only the darkest shadow on his neck and to the extreme lower left. But I guess it shows that people really don't like to lose that detail in this particular case. Maybe I'll post in the challege thread to try to get some more non-teckies to look.

Yeah, they have that at the Harvard Museum of Natural History as well. Also carolina parakeets and carrier pigeons. And a real moa skeleton. My woodpecker shot wasn't so great, though. Good thing is I'm sure it isn't going anywhere if I ever want to reshoot.
    If not now, when?