D3200 for Wildlife?

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited December 12, 2012 in Wildlife
I'm getting tired of waiting for the D400. Patience has never been a strong suite of mine. I have a D3s, a D700 and a D300. I've been wanting a DX body with more pixel density than 12MP, and better low light performance than the D300. Do you wildlife gurus think I'd be happy with the D3200? I don't care about only 4fps for wildlife, and I only have one big lens that wouldn't work (my old screw-drive 300mm f/2.8.) Heck, the 24MP D3200 is so reasonable that I could get one AND a 300mm f/4D ED-IF for less than the expected price of the mythical D400. The thought of 24MP on a crop sensor, with my Sigma 500mm f/4.5 makes me quiver. What do you think? Am I nutz? :dunno
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2012
    John,
    Dont do it, I have seen enough of your posts over the years to know that you want a top tier camera. If frame rate is really not that important to you, I would have to suggest the 800. The dx crop works so well , and also reduces the massive file size. I can togggle through the dx, fx and 1.2 , with minimal steps. it's close to a 3 stage zoom. I use it constantly for wildlife.
    I know its more than you were looking to spend, but it looks like you may have an extra camera to sell. I am sure you will work it out.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Thanks for the input, Robert. NikonRumors says to expect an announcement regarding a D300/D7000 replacement come January or February. Guess I can wait that long to decide. By that time, the D5200 will (more than likely) be available in the US market, further "murking-up" the waters.
    John :
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    With a D3s, D700, and a D300 I can see no need for a D3200. IMHO the best available Nikon DX is still the D7000. I would wait until the first quarter of 2013 before making a decision.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited December 10, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    With a D3s, D700, and a D300 I can see no need for a D3200. IMHO the best available Nikon DX is still the D7000. I would wait until the first quarter of 2013 before making a decision.

Harry, everything I've read about that 24mp sensor is good. That, coupled with the EXPEED III processor, says it should be an incredible value. With a rock-solid tripod and top-tier glass I think it'd be a killer addition to my arsenal. That being said, 1st qtr 2013 isn't that far off. You've convinced me to cool my jets.
    John :
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Harry, everything I've read about that 24mp sensor is good. That, coupled with the EXPEED III processor, says it should be an incredible value. With a rock-solid tripod and top-tier glass I think it'd be a killer addition to my arsenal. That being said, 1st qtr 2013 isn't that far off. You've convinced me to cool my jets.

Around 5 years ago I was completely frustrated with Nikon and being limited to ISO 400 being the highest ISO I was comfortable using. The Canon 1D Mark III specs looked like the camera I had been waiting for. I was about to E-bay all my Nikon gear when my friends shooting Canon starting telling me tales about their problems with its focusing. So I decided to wait for a bit. Around 2 months later Nikon announced the D300 and the D3. I've been in hog heaven ever since then.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited December 11, 2012
    Yep. I remember being completely blown away by the difference between my D200 and my new D300.
    John :
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Hi John,

I have been waiting for the D400 to come out as well and in fact a little frustrated that Nikon has not released it at this time. I for one would wait for the 1st quarter, and if nothning happens then think about making the move. I see there is mention to go with the D800 bbut I think that the file sizes are too huge, but nice to for landscapes.

I would pass on the D3200 and end up going with the D600 if that is possible for you, but holding off for a bit more to see what happens in 2013 sounds like it might be worth it for you in the longer run.
    edited December 11, 2012
    I would pass on the D3200 and end up going with the D600

Thanks for weighing in, Dennis. I was thinking a crop body (not necessarily the D3200) would be advantageous for wildlife photography. Am I missing something? You must have come to a different conclusion.
    John :
    edited December 11, 2012
    Thanks for weighing in, Dennis. I was thinking a crop body (not necessarily the D3200) would be advantageous for wildlife photography. Am I missing something? You must have come to a different conclusion.

I don't think you are missing anything John. My thoughts on this, is that I'm not a fan of the cheaper Nikon DX cameras at this point. One they are to light for my liking and I worry about the focus systems on them not being as good as the D300s in general.

I have the D700 which I have used for birding, and I get the focus speed, which is faster then the D300s and I have been very happy with the results overall. Yes it is an FX body, but I find that I can makeup for the full frame with cropping the image with just as good results using the DX.

I have been thinking about this for some time now, and that is I think we will soon see the DX bodies being discontinued in the future, and my thoughts are that the replacement for the D300 series may be the last of the high-end DX camera that Nikon will make. Again just my thoughts on this.

I mentioned the D600 to you from what I have experienced with on the D700 images that I have processed, and again with great results. Again, I think you would get a better focus system, faster focus lock and a much better body that can take some punishment.

But I still think it is worth waiting a few months before you decide to buy a body, and that is what I will be doing, and will decide then to purchase another body. I'm leaning towards the D600 for none birding phootgrapy as the D800 is a bit of over kill for my needs, but that can change in the coming months.
    edited December 12, 2012
    Dennis, I hope you'll start up a thread, either here or in Cameras, when you start looking seriously at a new body. I'm assuming you (like I am) are awaiting an announcement of the D400/8000 or whatever.

The lightweight issue is not a problem for me. My intended use for this body will almost always involve a long lens and a tripod, probably with a gimbal head, so balance in the hand is a bit moot. A long foot on the lens serves.
    John :
    edited December 12, 2012
    Dennis, I hope you'll start up a thread, either here or in Cameras, when you start looking seriously at a new body. I'm assuming you (like I am) are awaiting an announcement of the D400/8000 or whatever.

The lightweight issue is not a problem for me. My intended use for this body will almost always involve a long lens and a tripod, probably with a gimbal head, so balance in the hand is a bit moot. A long foot on the lens serves.

I will for sure, but right now, it is a wait and see what happens in the first of the new year.

Yes I see your point there John, and I have a long lens and would do the same. But my concerns more so is the focus speed and shutter frame rates for these lower DX models. I think that I will research this a bit and start some comparison's. Yes with baited breath I'm waiting for some news about the replacement.
    edited December 12, 2012
    I will for sure, but right now, it is a wait and see what happens in the first of the new year.

Yes I see your point there John, and I have a long lens and would do the same. But my concerns more so is the focus speed and shutter frame rates for these lower DX models. I think that I will research this a bit and start some comparison's. Yes with baited breath I'm waiting for some news about the replacement.

I believe focus speed is more dependent on the lens than the body any more.
    John :