Thumping that bass.

Bernie OBernie O Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 13, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I shot this at the Closer to Free Ride in New Haven, CT this past summer.

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Hi Bernie. Welcome to DGrin.

Your bass thumping dude is nice and tight but it feels very flat. Possibly underexposed? There is also a little too much extra space at the top of the frame. When shooting people in the wide, I always remind myself to "look down" or basically to tilt the camera slightly down to avoid having the top space be empty.

I don't think I've seen a five string bass before. It might have been nice to have gotten one of his hands into the shot to show some of that thumping.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Hi Bernie. Welcome to DGrin.

Your bass thumping dude is nice and tight but it feels very flat. Possibly underexposed? There is also a little too much extra space at the top of the frame. When shooting people in the wide, I always remind myself to "look down" or basically to tilt the camera slightly down to avoid having the top space be empty.

I don't think I've seen a five string bass before. It might have been nice to have gotten one of his hands into the shot to show some of that thumping.

welcome Yes!
    would tend to agree with above.
  • jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Welcome! Like the angle of the shot. With musicians typically its good to see a hand as a part of the action I think, but then again I'm often wrong.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 12, 2012
    jpope42 wrote: »
    Welcome! Lie the angle of the shot. With musicians typically its good to see a hand as a part of the action I think, but then again I'm often wrong.
    I think you're spot on. Maybe a landscape orientation would have worked better for this shot.

Oh, and welcome to the asylum. wave.gif.
  • Bernie OBernie O Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2012
    Love your street shots.
    Richard,

I checked your pics. I love your street shots.

Thank you.

Bernie O'