Options

I hate to ask....(another lens question)....

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited December 11, 2012 in Accessories
I have a 50mm 1.8 and the 18-200mm VR (and a lensbaby, but it doesn't count).

I have done quite well with my part-time portrait photography business with both of those lenses. I use the 18-200 for 95% of my wedding shots as it is just so damn quick to get the wide and tight shots without missing a beat.

And I use the 50mm mostly for my family/kid portrait work.

But I know I need to grow my gear and evolve.

So what's next?

If I had $500-$1500 to spend on a new (or used) lens that will help me get better portrait shots, what should I buy?

I won't even tell you want I'm considering as I don't want to bias the responses. :wink

Thanks so much for your help!
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Based on your portfolio and equipment level, I would honestly invest more in learning than in equipment. There are not many pieces of a pro setup that cost $1500 or less, but that amount is perfect for quite a few different types of classes or workshops. If anything, take that money and "buy yourself some free time" with which to study other photographers work, get out and practice, and determine first-hand which piece of gear you feel the greatest need for buying next.

You can pick up a used 24-70 or 70-200 mk1 for about $1500. You can pick up a used D700 for about $1500-$1700.You could invest in an 85mm prime for only $500-$1500, ...but I wouldn't do that until after also getting a full-frame camera, if you don't already have one. And once again, it's a HUGE decision (on Nikon at least) to decide between f/1.8 and f/1.4 when it comes to the 85mm, the price gap is monstrous and yet the performance gap is almost non-existent. So, back to square one- You gotta know what your direction and style is, and then at that point your next purchase will come naturally.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2012
    Based on your portfolio and equipment level, I would honestly invest more in learning than in equipment. There are not many pieces of a pro setup that cost $1500 or less, but that amount is perfect for quite a few different types of classes or workshops. If anything, take that money and "buy yourself some free time" with which to study other photographers work, get out and practice, and determine first-hand which piece of gear you feel the greatest need for buying next.

You can pick up a used 24-70 or 70-200 mk1 for about $1500. You can pick up a used D700 for about $1500-$1700.You could invest in an 85mm prime for only $500-$1500, ...but I wouldn't do that until after also getting a full-frame camera, if you don't already have one. And once again, it's a HUGE decision (on Nikon at least) to decide between f/1.8 and f/1.4 when it comes to the 85mm, the price gap is monstrous and yet the performance gap is almost non-existent. So, back to square one- You gotta know what your direction and style is, and then at that point your next purchase will come naturally.

=Matt=

Hi Matt,

I appreciate the feedback. Practice and classes are in a different budget for my business. :) Though I have yet to been turned down or rejected by clients because of my shots. I like my style and so do my clients. Nor have I had to ever give money back because clients were unhappy with their photos.

Of course I would like to improve, but I don't feel it's no. 1 on my priority list for spending $$. Gear is.

Thanks for the info on the lenses. I'll take that into consideration. I enjoy my 50mm 1.8 --- but I hear that the 85mm is so much better for the head shots.

Cheers
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Oakley wrote: »
    Hi Matt,

I appreciate the feedback. Practice and classes are in a different budget for my business. :) Though I have yet to been turned down or rejected by clients because of my shots. I like my style and so do my clients. Nor have I had to ever give money back because clients were unhappy with their photos.

Of course I would like to improve, but I don't feel it's no. 1 on my priority list for spending $$. Gear is.

Thanks for the info on the lenses. I'll take that into consideration. I enjoy my 50mm 1.8 --- but I hear that the 85mm is so much better for the head shots.

Cheers

Well then, let me ask this- which body do you currently have? While a 24-70 or a 70-200 or an 85 would all be great for portraits and weddings, they really need a full-frame body to go with them if you want to deliver the full quality package. In fact, I'd rather have a full-frame camera and a few crap lenses, than a crop sensor body and the best lenses. I know nobody else in the world will give this advice, but that's just my personal preference and experience as a full-time wedding / portrait shooter. Gimme f/1.8 instead of f/1.4, gimme f/4 or f/3.5-5.6 instead of f/2.8, but don't take away my full-frame sensor!

I still stand by my original assertion, however. I think in the first ~5 ears I was in business, I spent $4-5K on learning and "only" 3-4K on equipment.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2012
    Now that's some great advice! I have upgraded my body twice over the years Nikon D50 to a Nikon D90.

Remember - I'm a part-time pro, so my cash-flow and business needs are different then a full-timer. IMHO. I've been building my business up slowly - making sure I don't go into debt just to get better gear.

I earn revenue, and then invest some of it back in the business.

Anyways........Perhaps an upgrade in body is the best bet for where I'm at.

I was also looking at improving my lighting (I simply use 1 external flash right now).

Thanks for the feedback Matt.

Ryan
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    A D700 goes for about $1500 now! :D
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2012
    Oakley wrote: »
    Now that's some great advice! I have upgraded my body twice over the years Nikon D50 to a Nikon D90.

Remember - I'm a part-time pro, so my cash-flow and business needs are different then a full-timer. IMHO. I've been building my business up slowly - making sure I don't go into debt just to get better gear.

I earn revenue, and then invest some of it back in the business.

Anyways........Perhaps an upgrade in body is the best bet for where I'm at.

I was also looking at improving my lighting (I simply use 1 external flash right now).

Thanks for the feedback Matt.

Ryan

If you're on a D90 now, I can definitely recommend a used D700 as your best upgrade, part-time or full-time. However you'll want a full-frame lens to go with it, if you're used to the 18-200 then you'll need something like the 24-120, or a 70-300, or a 24-85... These lenses may sound like poor long-term decisions compared to something sexy like a 70-200 2.8 or 24-70 f/2.8, however my philosophy is that any professional should always have a backup, and a small lightweight zoom like a 24-85 makes a great emergency backup later on down the road, so it's not just a "stepping stone" lens.

I say this because almost everybody will scoff at intermediate upgrades, and push for long-term investments as if they're the only way to go and you're just throwing money away otherwise. I never think of it that way; for any pro an intermeidate upgrade is just a long-term backup. Which is another reason why I love the D700 so much. It's a professional standard, and it will always be acceptable as a professional tool. Unlike the Canon 5D "classic" and 5D mk2, it has a killer AF system and great speed. Like I said earlier- as a backup 5 years from now, I'd rather have a D700 and an f/3.5-5.6 zoom than a crop sensor and a 2.8 zoom...

=Matt=
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    IMO, money spent on speedlights, stands, and light modifiers will do more toward advancing your range of services than anything else. Your D90 is no slouch. Get some used SB600s and maybe a used SB800 and learn to use the awesome Creative Lighting System built into your camera.

Looking at your portfolio, I'd say you have a talent for shooting, but unless you master artificial lighting, you are going to be limited in what you can shoot. You are producing very good images, given the glass you have.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.