Light Experiments with Erica

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited December 12, 2012 in People
OK guys, as threatened, I'm back indoors playing with my new studio strobes and who better to play with than the gorgeous Erica.

These are a sample of some stuff we I tried out so C&C is more than welcomed.

p1323298510-4.jpg

p1323298686-4.jpg

p1323396390-4.jpg

p1323396478-4.jpg

p1323436952-4.jpg

p1323437060-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Nice set of shots. The last 3 are my favorites -- but the hair/side light is a bit too hot for my taste. You've also blown out her left side (camera right) on #4, though I still think it's a strong image. Well done.
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Humm the last is my favorite but I would have like the hair light on the other side. The rest of the shots while very nice seem to have some hot spots. I will have to wait till I get on a bigger monitor that is calibrated to say for sure but I see them on my laptop.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Thanks guys.

Gotham, I think I just made the wrong call on the hairlight. The key was metered at f7.1 and Erica is brunette so I metered the hairlight at f9 I probably should have gone to f11 or f 13. ne_nau.gif Next time I'll bring it down a touch.

Tin, I definitely blew her out in # 4 but, as you said, the pose was so good I posted it anyway for comment. Honestly, I'm not seeing the hotspots in #s 1-3 but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I haven't processed my Saturday shoot with Cyndi yet, and Kay (remember her) comes in on Sunday, so there will be much more to rip up this week and next.mwink.gif
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Bilsen: Here are my thoughts --- I don't normally offer up advice / opinions "however you want to take it" - but I am active professional in the fashion / catalog industry and am only offering advice because I feel that you have a talent.
    For pics 1 and 2: remind the model to separate her arm from her body.
    In Pic #2: make sure for this particular pose and size of the model: too much bend/lift in the arm is causing her flesh to push out a little too much.
    Pic #3: the angle and her arms are not elongated enough / compare the illusion of elongated arms to pic #4 and the difference is obvious -- in addition her hand in #3 is cutting off the natural curve of the dress against her body.
    Pic #4: Great job / if this were a commercial shoot - the creative director would have wanted to go with the delicate appearance you have going on here. The mua would have taken care of the hair - well done.
    Pic #5: Great job / watch your dodging on the bottom of her dress --- I think thats what it is "the halo effect"
    Pic #6: Too sharp on the eyes - skin is too perfect --- go for invisible finishing.

PS: I didn't mention anything about your photography - because you clearly know what you are doing. I didn't comment on your lighting because you clearly know what you are doing there as well - a little tweaking on a few things - but that applies to all of us.
    My best advice: find what works best for the model asap during a shoot - and go with that. Shoot tethered - this will assure that you only press the shutter when you know its the shot.
    I hope I didn't step on any toes --- You are very gifted :)

KLinh
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
    edited December 11, 2012
    KlinH

Far from stepping on toes, you've given great advice. Writing it all down in my shoot notes.

If you look through my threads on here you'll see I take a stomping with some regularity and I never take offense. Please feel free to critique away at any time.
  • shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Bilsen wrote: »
    KlinH

Far from stepping on toes, you've given great advice. Writing it all down in my shoot notes.

If you look through my threads on here you'll see I take a stomping with some regularity and I never take offense. Please feel free to critique away at any time.

I think your fine w/o the critiquing. Just keep your models comfortable and feeling beautiful, breathe and shoot. I'm not one to critique - I do much better on the admiring side of things.
    Here is a quick tip: When it comes to studio shooting: Grey background will never be trendy, and the rule of thirds tend not to apply. Center / allow room for cropping outside of your cameras ratio, Pose / shoot = a possible a career and a means to pay the bills = happy photographer. Keep it up - that's the last critique from me :)
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
    edited December 11, 2012
    shming wrote: »
    Keep it up - that's the last critique from me :)

Sorry to hear that but thanks a ton for what I got.
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Yes 1-3 do not have much. In fact i only saw too much on the palm of her hand in number two. Still a nice series.