Opinions on recent portrait shoot

kshayskshays Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited December 12, 2012 in People
Hi,

Just looking for criticism and feedback on the portraits. Always looking to get better so I thought this is the best place :)

http://www.kevinhaysphotography.com

IMG_0185-L.jpg

IMG_0254-L.jpg

IMG_0182-L.jpg

IMG_0264-Edit-L.jpg

IMG_0177-L.jpg

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Very nice! Those kids really seem to enjoy your session. Eyes on #3 are a little soft.
  • kshayskshays Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Very nice! Those kids really seem to enjoy your session. Eyes on #3 are a little soft.

The girl really did, the boy not so much. He just kept wanting to play, lol. Anyway that's the kind of stuff i'm looking for. That shot was actually caught while he was talking. Tried to do a 1.8 focused on the eyes, but with him it was hard.

Should I have tried to sharpen the eyes just a touch in LR/PS ?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Really a great set. Here are a couple of my first thoughts, take em' or leave em of course.

#1, The expression is cool, but not a huge fan of the crop. I'm just weird like that. Feels like its all bunched down into the corner where you have this extra space in the top left.

#2. This is a cute picture for sure. I find the big red boot kicking her in the side of the head a little distracting. Again the crop is a little off for me. Even if her left arm was a little higher so her hand didn't get cut off at the knuckle I think would have made it a bit better for me.

#3 Nice. I can imagine the difficulty with shooting an active child. In a perfect world maybe he would have put his left arm down as to not produce the red arm stub. But a great shot overall.

#4. I think its nice, the style is just a personal preference, so some will like, others not so much.

#5 Best of the bunch for me. The near eye feels slightly soft, but its late in the day for me and I've been at the computer too long, so that could be impacting my sight. Great great crop, I really like it. It just feels so much more natural than when bits and pieces of the subject are cut off.

Really great stuff. Thanks for posting.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • kshayskshays Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Really a great set. Here are a couple of my first thoughts, take em' or leave em of course.

#1, The expression is cool, but not a huge fan of the crop. I'm just weird like that. Feels like its all bunched down into the corner where you have this extra space in the top left.

#2. This is a cute picture for sure. I find the big red boot kicking her in the side of the head a little distracting. Again the crop is a little off for me. Even if her left arm was a little higher so her hand didn't get cut off at the knuckle I think would have made it a bit better for me.

#3 Nice. I can imagine the difficulty with shooting an active child. In a perfect world maybe he would have put his left arm down as to not produce the red arm stub. But a great shot overall.

#4. I think its nice, the style is just a personal preference, so some will like, others not so much.

#5 Best of the bunch for me. The near eye feels slightly soft, but its late in the day for me and I've been at the computer too long, so that could be impacting my sight. Great great crop, I really like it. It just feels so much more natural than when bits and pieces of the subject are cut off.

Really great stuff. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks for the critique!

#1. I can see what you mean on the top left. I will redo the crop and see how it turns up.
    #2. That stocking has always bothered me. Almost like when I see trees coming from a persons head. I'm glad i'm not the only one that this bothers :) How would you take focus off this stocking btw? Blur it through LR or PS or just de-saturate the background some? Or should I go and try to actually cut and reshape the end of the stocking so it's not so close to her head.

#3. Yeah, he was a hard one.
    #4. Almost like some like sepia, b&w which I did a couple of aged looks like that one. I actually like it pretty good, but I really like B&W though.
    #5. I'll take a look too, I think you may be right on that.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Kevin