Options

DSS round #118- Scenic

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited December 15, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #118 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, December 10th, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, December 24th, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Scenic

Lets see your best Scenic picture you can take! The scene has to have nature in some form in it and its needs to be wide angle as much as your equipment can provide!

Don't let bad weather keep you indoors! You can find ways around the rain and find awesome scenic images in rain and snow too! A lot of dramatic skies come out of bad weather. It can be any type of scene, even a city scene, as long as it has some nature somewhere in it, like a tree or flower or something of nature in it.

Please keep titles short!

There are no editing restrictions this round except what is written above!

Your Judge:

1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #118 Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

[URL="http://http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-118-Scenic/27022162_JXbV2G"[/B][/URL]</p><p> </p><p>Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!</p><p> </p><p>[URL="http://http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-118-Scenic/27022162_JXbV2G"[/B][/URL]</p><p> </p><p>Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest </p><p>period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no </p><p>worries!</p><p> </p><p>To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge </p><p>[URL="[URL]http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=162657"]RULES[/URL]

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!

Comments

• Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Jag

When you say as wide as your equipment can provide, must the scene be one picture only, or can I take a number of shots and use eg photostitch to combine to make a large panoramic shot?
    Thanks
    Judy
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2012
    torrbrae wrote: »
    Jag

When you say as wide as your equipment can provide, must the scene be one picture only, or can I take a number of shots and use eg photostitch to combine to make a large panoramic shot?
    Thanks
    Judy

As long as you use the widest angle you have. The point is to use wide angle shots and capture as much as possible. Panoramic images are fine, but in the past they really do not show the image very large because of the perimeters of the gallery settings. Thus the full effect doesn't always show through. JMO
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,954 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    I had to crop quite a bit off the top and bottom of mine in order to get rid of the power lines and street. I hope that is OK. I have to husband my strength, so I am restricted to taking photos from wherever I can park the car and shoot out the window. Even if I got out of the car, the street is so busy it would be hazardous to cross so I could take the photo from under the wires. I had to reject quite a few shots because cars got into them as it was.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I had to crop quite a bit off the top and bottom of mine in order to get rid of the power lines and street. I hope that is OK. I have to husband my strength, so I am restricted to taking photos from wherever I can park the car and shoot out the window. Even if I got out of the car, the street is so busy it would be hazardous to cross so I could take the photo from under the wires. I had to reject quite a few shots because cars got into them as it was.

I really like the shot! I think you misspelled your screen name.

I admire your determination to get the shot. I fear I will be similarly limited in a few years.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2012
    OH - I got the hyphen wrong (it was a 0) and corrected that, but I didn't see that my screen name was wrong. I think I fixed it!

THanks for letting me know. That isn't the shot I set out to get. This was where I thought I would go and I was going to call it Winter Sky,

IMG_5132.JPG

and then I tried turning around and taking one the other way, but there was more blue in the sky on that side and I liked the one I used better.

IMG_5134.JPG

I was on the way to do errands - deposit checks in the bank, mail Xmas presents, and go to respiratory therapy at the hospital. I was thinking I could use this tree, but it had to be vertical and I wasn't sure if that would fill the Landscape challenge

IMG_5142.JPG

And then I came home and took this photo of my house

IMG_5143.JPG

but that's more house and less landscape.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2012
    Will photos be disqualified if they are not wide angle? Or will that be taken into account by the voters, or will the mere fact of entry and a shot within the time frame be OK? I set my camera on 18mm which is as wide as it goes.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2012
    Will photos be disqualified if they are not wide angle? Or will that be taken into account by the voters, or will the mere fact of entry and a shot within the time frame be OK? I set my camera on 18mm which is as wide as it goes.

18mm is fine if that is all you have! That is all I have for a wide angle too.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2012
    yes I know that unless I have a specific wide angle lens that 18 mm is about as wide as my camera goes. I'm not concerned about my photo specifically - this is a rhetorical question.

Are there digital cameras that don't go below 100 mm? Is there any upper limit beyond which a photo doesn't meet the criteria?

If someone posts a landscape shot that is - say 150 mm but in all other respects looks like an appropriate photo (within the time limit etc) will that disqualify them?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2012
    yes I know that unless I have a specific wide angle lens that 18 mm is about as wide as my camera goes. I'm not concerned about my photo specifically - this is a rhetorical question.

Are there digital cameras that don't go below 100 mm? Is there any upper limit beyond which a photo doesn't meet the criteria?

If someone posts a landscape shot that is - say 150 mm but in all other respects looks like an appropriate photo (within the time limit etc) will that disqualify them?

"... needs to be wide angle as much as your equipment can provide!"

Pretty self explanitory. The what ifs will be desided at voting time. I do not dq for images that do not fit the theme or the gerneralized description of the individual challenge. Its up to those who vote to decide whether the image meets the qualifications of the challenges parameters. That is why we have the statement "Your Judge: 1 round 72 Hour Public Vote".

I only dq for images that are not following the standard set rules of entering into the competition found on the RULES page.deal.gif