New Cameras and ACR

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited December 12, 2012 in Cameras
Adobe has figured out a way to make us upgrade to the next generation on Photoshop and Lightroom, by not allowing/providing updates in ACR for new camera models as they are released. Yes, I know that was a convoluted, inadequate, and probably technically inaccurate sentence, but I hope you get my drift. Is there a work-around? Is there a way to convert NEF files to DNG that will allow older versions of ACR to handle newer cameras? :dunno
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Um, can't you download the Adobe DNG converter? Maybe I am missing something.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 11, 2012
    Right. Adobe does make their DNG converter available for free, so that's one choice. Another is the use whatever raw conversion software was provided with the camera to convert to TIF and then process it further in PS or LR. The path of least resistance, of course, is to upgrade the Adobe software. mwink.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Um, can't you download the Adobe DNG converter? Maybe I am missing something.
    This is the answer I was looking for. What you were missing is that I didn't know this little tidbit!! clap.gif
    Richard wrote: »
    use whatever raw conversion software was provided with the camera to convert to TIF and then process it further in PS or LR. The path of least resistance, of course, is to upgrade the Adobe software.
    Gigundous file sizes! And the path of least resistance is for wussie suckers. :soapbox
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.