Options

Nikon 18-300 any personal experience?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited December 25, 2012 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

Used to have a Nikkor 18-200 VR1 which was stolen (along with all my other gear)
Bought a D7000 and 17-50 f2.8 (Tamron) and 70-300 VR (Nikon) but finding that on holidays with family I just can't be changing lenses all the time - it just doesn't work... either time, conditions etc.

I'm seriously considering going back to an all-in-one lens for most of my walkaround family/holidays shooting and am trying to decide between the 18-200 VR2 or the 18-300 VR.

Could anyone give me personal experience of the 18-300? even better if they can compare it to the 18-200.

I do have a battery grip for the D7000 but honestly for family holidays i'd be trying to keep the weight/size low so wouldn't be using it... in case that makes a difference tot he handling as I know the 18-300 is bigger and heavier...

thanks!
Jason

Comments

• Options
    edited December 18, 2012
    Guess not :) ended up buying the 18-200 VRII instead as looked on bythom.com and found that the 18-300 is slower aperture at same zoom range from MUCH earlier than the 18-300. e.g. f5.6 from 105mm whereas 135mm on the 18-200. Just generally all along the zoom range it's a bit slower.

So have saved myself some money, half the weight and size too...

(just in case anyone else reads this thread for info)
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    I see that you have made your decision now, but for the other folks who might read this thread: I faced a similar dilemma for a trip to Africa last September. I wanted to be able to access both a long lens and a mid-range zoom in quick succession. My solution was to buy a low-mileage second D7000. On game drives I mounted the 70-300VR on one body and the 300 f/4 with TC on the other. For general touring, I replaced the 300/4 with my 16-85VR for scenics.

This worked well for me, and the used D7000 cost less than an 18-200 and gave me better IQ. After the trip I sold the second D7000 for only $70 less than I paid for it. Much cheaper than renting. :D
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    jthomas wrote: »
    I see that you have made your decision now

Yep - I actually have a setup similar to yours 17-50 f2.8 and 70-300 VR - but it was just too difficult swapping all the time when on family holidays as the kids would at one moment be right in front of me and the next running 100m away... am going to the arctic circle for Christmas and also don't want to change lenses in -20degC!!! so 18-200 will suit me perfectly thumb.gif

Would love a 300 f4 + TC to replace my now sold 70-300 VR but think my missus might flip if she saw it mwink.gif
  • Options
    Jocko123Jocko123 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 25, 2012
    I have been wondering about the 18-300 mm every since it came out. I mainly shoot with the 70-300 mm and love it but carry another camera with a wider lens for the closer and wider shots. I have been seeking reviews about the 18-300 mm and have not found a lot of information from anyone who actually has been shooting with it very much. I thought it might be the perfect everyday walking around lens for me also because I need at least 300 mm. It may still be fine for what I do but I will certainly do a little more research and try one out before I purchase one. Thank you for this thread.