Giant ichthyasaur and other oddities...

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 23, 2005 in Holy Macro
... from the Harvard Museum of Natural History.

45709788-L.jpg

Oh, the glory that was Harvard Natural History in the 19th century. This is Oakes Ames (1874-1950), who was a professor of botany at Harvard and studied orchards.

45710582-L.jpg

The museum contains an amazing collection of glass replicas of flowers, representing a lot of the plant kingdom.

45710291-L.jpg

My children have always loved the cealocanth, preserved in formaldehyde. I don't know why, but it grabbed their imaginations from the time they were very young. Looks like it's about to fall apart.

45709360-L.jpg

This is a very large collection of stuff, but not nearly as extravagently displayed as at the American Museum of Natural History or The Field Museum, for example. It has a much more haphazard feel to it, as much the outgrowth of serious science as actual museum.

45709951-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    Itchyasaur... Love it!

I too spent many hours ooohing and ahhhing in the Harvard museums. My mom has worked at the University since I was 5 years old, so there were many days when she'd take me to work and send me off to wander the campus.

Ah, but those were the days, when a 10 year old kid could wander around and get in everywhere. These days, when I just go to visit my mom, I practically have to endure a strip search to get into her building!

Sorry, rant off.

I really like the 3rd shot of the flowers from the side. Unique angles are my fav.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]