edited December 18, 2012 in Street and Documentary
121112_Subway.0010CropBW-XL.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    I like this, B.D. The girl up front is blurry, her skinned is unevenly toned and her hair is muddied, giving me the impression that she is perhaps less successful/attractive/wealthy/etc than the other.
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Or - She is blurred by the lens, which would effect the skin tone, hair, etc.....although I would guess that Left Girl is more affluent than Right girl. But the point here was iPhone and paper paper.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Or - She is blurred by the lens, which would effect the skin tone, hair, etc.....although I would guess that Left Girl is more affluent than Right girl. But the point here was iPhone and paper paper.
    I got the suggestion, but that wasn't striking to me. The way the camera affected the front girl was.
    Travis
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 12, 2012
    Sorry, but this has (very quickly) become a cliche. It might still be possible to come up with a juxtaposition of e-readers and paper that works, but I think it would require more of a difference between the people than is apparent here--age, dress--dunno, but something more.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    I did one just like that a few days ago.
    this one's better ! :cry
    edited December 13, 2012
    Thanks Richard, Ben - I wasn't looking for, seeing, any real difference between the young women - the one reading the paper Times could well be farther up the socio-economic ladder than the one on the iPhone - it's really, really hard to judge things like this based on clothing any more. ;-) I just liked the iPhone and the paper.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2012
    Cliche or not, good photos work because they have good composition
    and control of the image.

This one has good composition and good control with depth of field.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 13, 2012
    I like this. It's also demonstrative of the way in which we collect information these days.

As far as affluence, these days it's difficult to judge. Around here, jeans and a t-shirt are just as indicative of wealth as they are of poverty. Conversely, nicely dressed and made up could just as easily be someone living paycheck to paycheck.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 13, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    I like this. It's also demonstrative of the way in which we collect information these days.

As far as affluence, these days it's difficult to judge. Around here, jeans and a t-shirt are just as indicative of wealth as they are of poverty. Conversely, nicely dressed and made up could just as easily be someone living paycheck to paycheck.

There is a wonderful, if apocryphal story told about Grace Slick from the heyday of the Jefferson Airplane and the 60s rock scene in the Bay Area. Supposedly she went into a Rolls Dealer looking to buy a Rolls - of course - looking scrungilly Height Ashbury. The snooty sales person wouldn't give her the time of day. So, as the story goes, she left, and returned a few days later 'dressed like a lady.' The sales help was oh-so-happy-to-help-her, and after the sales contract was signed, she paid for the car with rolls of pennies.

It may, like so much from and of that period be fiction, but it is a great story. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 13, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    There is a wonderful, if apocryphal story told about Grace Slick from the heyday of the Jefferson Airplane and the 60s rock scene in the Bay Area. Supposedly she went into a Rolls Dealer looking to buy a Rolls - of course - looking scrungilly Height Ashbury. The snooty sales person wouldn't give her the time of day. So, as the story goes, she left, and returned a few days later 'dressed like a lady.' The sales help was oh-so-happy-to-help-her, and after the sales contract was signed, she paid for the car with rolls of pennies.

It may, like so much from and of that period be fiction, but it is a great story. mwink.gif

Several friends and I went to a restaurant in Auburn, CA. We had been riding motorcycles all day and as you can imagine, weren't exactly dressed to impress. Anyway, one of the waitresses made it be known she didn't want to wait on us and we were seated away from the other patrons. You would never have known our waitress was a part of that conversation. Meal finished, we paid and when the change came, we added a crisp $100 bill to the tip-it had the desired effect as our waitress showed the other what she got lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2012
    I agree that you can't judge a book by it's cover . The image portrays isolation and a disconnect between strangers and why because it is easy to isolate in our little worlds.I do like the image and the composition but this is how I perceive this image.:D
    edited December 14, 2012
    Well, that makes sense Mole - all the subway images I've shot over the past eight years or so have been focused - sorry - on the theme "Alone Together," or the isolation of the crowd.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2012
    I also ponder the different experience of each individual in terms of the feel of the paper , the smell of it combined with the ink and such,but then again this is only my experience of the image regardless of the title. thumb.gifthumb
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    I like the shot you have here. It makes me stop and want to look at whats going on here and that key to a good photo.. so I think you have done well
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site