• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2012
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    nice work!

Thanks, I'd like to try to improve on wild bird shots, but they are harder to take than it seems, at least for me.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    ...... I'd like to try to improve on wild bird shots, but they are harder to take than it seems, at least for me.

Me too and you said it...... I try to be inspired and not intimidated by Harry and the other experts over on Wildlife.
    Fun catch in #1 Cristobal - are they sitting on ice? Brrrrr.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    I really like the first one thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Me too and you said it...... I try to be inspired and not intimidated by Harry and the other experts over on Wildlife.
    Fun catch in #1 Cristobal - are they sitting on ice? Brrrrr.

I agree those guys are too good. Yes the pond is mostly frozen and they spend the night on top of the ice.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really like the first one thumb.gif

Thanks Mary!
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    We was in Lakeside Park, Canada the other day, saw a bunch of geese, and wasnt sure if we should refer to them as local geese, or Canadian geese?
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    With a situation like the first, you've got an ideal opportunity (imo) to take really low-level shots - by putting the cam on the ice :)
    You don't need any special support equipment - other than a piece of cardboard or something similar (I use a bit of insulating camper's roll mat) ... and a bean bag ... which again needn't be anything fancy (mine is an Ipad neoprene sleeve from a £1 shop + couple of Kg bird seed)

The only probable investment you'd have to make (if not already got) is an angle finder - unless you're using a cam with an articulated screen.
    Getting an angle finder will open up many possibilities for situations where you want to get down to the subject's eye level - and be comfortable when doing so.

For non-iced over lake / water scenarios, check the location out for positions where the land /ground gently slopes into the water - here, you'll also be able to use the bean bag ... and also look for distant backgrounds that'll blur nicely, in decent light.

Whether you'll like / prefer the results is up to you -but I'd certainly suggest trying it.

pp
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2012
    We was in Lakeside Park, Canada the other day, saw a bunch of geese, and wasnt sure if we should refer to them as local geese, or Canadian geese?

:-) either way, I suppose!
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2012
    With a situation like the first, you've got an ideal opportunity (imo) to take really low-level shots - by putting the cam on the ice :)
    You don't need any special support equipment - other than a piece of cardboard or something similar (I use a bit of insulating camper's roll mat) ... and a bean bag ... which again needn't be anything fancy (mine is an Ipad neoprene sleeve from a £1 shop + couple of Kg bird seed)

The only probable investment you'd have to make (if not already got) is an angle finder - unless you're using a cam with an articulated screen.
    Getting an angle finder will open up many possibilities for situations where you want to get down to the subject's eye level - and be comfortable when doing so.

For non-iced over lake / water scenarios, check the location out for positions where the land /ground gently slopes into the water - here, you'll also be able to use the bean bag ... and also look for distant backgrounds that'll blur nicely, in decent light.

Whether you'll like / prefer the results is up to you -but I'd certainly suggest trying it.

pp

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. In my situation, the ice wasn't thick enough and I really don't want my camera in icy water, or me for that matter!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    I really like the first image! Nice comp.

Glade they had on down coats!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    I really like the first image! Nice comp.

Glade they had on down coats!

Thanks, I agree, I prefer the first one too, the light was just right. The second one... meh, I just was happy to capture it.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    I really like the first one - it made me shiver! Oh - and the name? Canada Goose is specific to a certain type of goose - which these are. Has nothing to do with what passport they carry :)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    I really like the first one - it made me shiver! Oh - and the name? Canada Goose is specific to a certain type of goose - which these are. Has nothing to do with what passport they carry :)

That's right, the scientific name is Branta canadensis