Options

Mini Challenge #156 - Unique Point Of View (pov)

Comments

• Options
    linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Me three.

And I also really like Jenn's substitute photo of the reflection. It's very interesting but I can't quite wrap my head around the photo of the Cessna - I don't know where I am.

It's the same with the drum picture, is the bottom of the drum open? Is the drum head transparent? How does that work.

It's the tail of the Cessna mwink.gif
    You guessed it with the drum thumb.gif I was surprised that the bottom was open too.
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    It's the tail of the Cessna mwink.gif

OHHHHHHHHHH!!! headscratch.gifhuh THAT's what that photo is!! Laughing.gif Now, I see it. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    1. goat's life
    IMG_5493-L.jpg

2, when the cows come home
    IMG_2508-L.jpg

3. mouse roulette
    IMG_7255-L.jpg
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    1. Jazz Man

i-79NrSXg-L.jpg

2. Tea Time

i-J5CP9DF-L.jpg

3. Shade

i-qRw8x2S-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2012

58.%20Books_-L.jpg

That's really cool!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    1) Real shot.

IMG_9497%20moon%20over%20sandhill%203-s.jpg

That's amazing Dave!
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    kentwaller wrote: »

2, when the cows come home
    IMG_2508-L.jpg

Maybe we should have a contest to illustrate proverbs. There was one fairly recently to illustrate a poem.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Hmmm... I thought SURE I'd set this thread to be notified whenever something new is added, but... it seems I've missed quite a few new entries (and changes to entries) lately. In any case...

Quite an eclectic collection of images here now, and it seems most convey a truly unique point of view. But while you needn't stand on your head or crawl into a rabbit hole to get a unique perspective, do bear in mind that we're not looking for simply an unusual SUBJECT here, but rather - an unusual way of VIEWING the subject.

When in doubt, feel free to PM me and - though I hesitate to comment on the caliber of a given shot, I'll be happy to at least let you know if you're on the right track.
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    That's amazing Dave!
    Thanks Dave.
    The ranger wouldn't have liked the way I had to race through the park to get it.
    Although I was the only one around, 80 in 30 I'm sure would have been a pretty good fine.mwink.gif
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    Hmmm... I thought SURE I'd set this thread to be notified whenever something new is added, but... it seems I've missed quite a few new entries (and changes to entries) lately. In any case...

Quite an eclectic collection of images here now, and it seems most convey a truly unique point of view. But while you needn't stand on your head or crawl into a rabbit hole to get a unique perspective, do bear in mind that we're not looking for simply an unusual SUBJECT here, but rather - an unusual way of VIEWING the subject.

When in doubt, feel free to PM me and - though I hesitate to comment on the caliber of a given shot, I'll be happy to at least let you know if you're on the right track.

When I get the email notifications they all say that I won't get any more notices unless I visit the site again.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    Thanks Dave.
    The ranger wouldn't have liked the way I had to race through the park to get it.
    Although I was the only one around, 80 in 30 I'm sure would have been a pretty good fine.mwink.gif

Yep, they probably wouldn't give you a free pass on that one. Well worth that shot though!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    When I get the email notifications they all say that I won't get any more notices unless I visit the site again.
    Ah yes grandmaR - I see that now. On one hand that makes sense (i.e. you don't get an email for EVERY blessed new post).

But... if you HAVE to visit the site each time you get one new post alert (i.e. in order to get a future alert) then... that rather defeats the purpose of setting an alert in the first place, no?
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    I don't do the emails at all anymore, but maybe a daily update would work better for you than the instant email. (I guess weekly wouldn't work that well for a short term challenge)

Please keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about half the time :)
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Inverted Sunset at Monterey Harbor
    More%20Ghosts%20%28To%20Print%29-L.jpg

Life, Saturated
    GettyMuseum_3-L.jpg

Losing My Religion
    20100924_SF-Menlo%20Park%20Road%20Trip_001-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    [QUOTE=grandmaR;1841160
    Please keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about half the time :)[/QUOTE]

Laughing.gif grandmaR - welcome to my world. headscratch.gif

But seriously, not a problem. It's not like I'm getting bombarded with MC alerts here. Indeed, I look forward to taking a peek at what's new here (like... billseye's latest additions today - nicely done bill!)
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Ihttp://davev.smugmug.com/WildLife/The-Best/i-C3nvvxF/0/XL/IMG_9497 moon over sandhill 3-XL.jpg
    I can't stop looking at your bird shot (real) shot - fantastic and just beautiful! GP
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    GretaPics wrote: »
    I can't stop looking at your bird shot (real) shot - fantastic and just beautiful! GP

Thanks Greta.
    dave.

• Options
    cedericcederic Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Windows:
    Windows-XL.jpg
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    I haven't been on here in a while, but stopped by earlier and thought I would participate with a few of my not so recent pics... The first two were from a photo shoot for a friend's band and the third was from my niece's prom last year. I have always liked the "in the boys room" pic, we had scouted the area on the old (closed) navy base in Charleston, SC a few days before this shoot and hadn't seen this spot because it hadn't existed this way at that time. They were tearing down this building and had stopped for the weekend, and just happened to have taken off the wall to this bathroom, leaving it open to the outside. We were driving from one spot to another when one of the guys saw it and we knew we had to shoot some photos there :D

In the boys room

IMG_9849-L.jpg

Hollywood squares

IMG_9864-L.jpg

Prom dates

Conner%27s%20Prom-13-L.jpg
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Entering just for fun - TravelnLass you mentioned like to see fog from a different perspective. Have not taken from beneath (maybe something to try next time see a good fog), but live on a hill so often see from above. Normally is flat, but one morning was a raised - unfortunately this shot was taken before understood about such things as ISO, so is a fairly grainy shot (taken on my original Canon Powershot s30):

C116-1658MistyMorning-L.jpg

Also living on the hill, the fertilising is done by plane, which allows for a different perspective when viewing the plane. This shot was taken from the front deck of my house - effectively looking direct at the plane. (As the top dressing is done early morning, means shooting straight into the sun.)

C201104201001608Topdressing-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2012
    But... if you HAVE to visit the site each time you get one new post alert (i.e. in order to get a future alert) then... that rather defeats the purpose of setting an alert in the first place, no?

I have really enjoyed looking at all the different photos posted so far ! There are so many different kinds of subject matter, too, with some amazing beautiful locations.

This challenge inspired me to actually look for a subject from my own creative viewpoint. I wasn't afraid to try something different.... I am still finding myself as a photographer, and I think one thing I really enjoy doing is taking photos of something ordinary and making them special, if I can.

Thanks for coming up with this topic for this challenge.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2012
    Thanks Dave.

How did you get such a 'frozen in time' shot of that bird in flight?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    I like this one a lot.

Thanks Dave. It was a fun one to set up!
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    I like this one a lot.

Me too. It not only has an unusual pov but goes one step further to mimic some other thing (e.g. flower).

Thanks for the look. Fun and humor are often themes in my little home studio (aka: old kitchen table in the corner of the bonus room).

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2013
    Jenn wrote: »
    How did you get such a 'frozen in time' shot of that bird in flight?

On that day, I was taking photos of the birds coming in, in front of the sunset. I had a little time between groups and looked around a bit. I could see the moon, and a few birds flying by it. But the lighting wasn't right where I was standing, so I jumped in the car and took off to an area that I figured would work.

By the time I got to the spot, the sun was getting real low, and most of the birds where on the ground.
    I had a couple of small groups go near the moon, but not close enough for a shot.

I saw a widely spaced group of 3 birds that looked like it was going to be close, but I had to move forward probably 30-40 yards. I took off running until I figured I had enough time to stop, plant my feet, and get a couple of shots.

I wanted the sandhill right in front of the moon, but I guess I'm not as fast as I thought I was. :D

So, this isn't really the shot I wanted, but it came close.
    dave.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2013
    Just 10 days more on this challenge - already a boatload of fine pics!

Just thought I'd pop in here to wish One and ALL a Happy 2013, and...

Couldn't help but post this pic coincidentally posted in my fb stream this morning by a (utterly non-photog) chum of mine as imho, it demonstrates a most outstanding "unique pov":

ChuckRohe-POV-L.jpg
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2013

Couldn't help but post this pic coincidentally posted in my fb stream this morning by a (utterly non-photog) chum of mine as imho, it demonstrates a most outstanding "unique pov":

ChuckRohe-POV-S.jpg

That's awesome, it really got me thinking about the properties of light rays.
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2013
    Nobody was harmed during the 'shooting' of this one...
    i-52xsWwn-L.jpg
  • Options
    hirezhirez Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2013
    king of the hill
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2013
    hirez wrote: »
    king of the hill

Welcome hirez! Good you dropped your hat into the "Unique POV" Mini-Challenge ring. You can add two more pics (a total of 3 entries) and can switch any of them out til January 11th.
    TravelnLass.com