Pushkar woman

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited December 20, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Unfortunate backdrop but she was too interesting a character to pass by

untitled-9052-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    Hey Patti. I'd definitely consider this shots as documentary.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Thanks Jenn! Can she be moved or should I post her there as well?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    See here I have to disagree with you again!

I find the background adds a sense of "WTF" to this image!

However because of the background I would have gone with B&W, yes I know her garb is
    great but that's how I feel.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    The backround elements adds to image ,but I woud have preferred to see a more asymmetrical composition.
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    I agree that the background adds context to the image. It stops it being something of a cliche.

I can't help feeling that a shot from low down, looking up at the woman would have worked well however this is always easier said than done.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Really nice and just love the color pop. Plus gotta love a woman who smokes and has a bike!!
    edited December 17, 2012
    I agree that the background adds context to the image. It stops it being something of a cliche.

I can't help feeling that a shot from low down, looking up at the woman would have worked well however this is always easier said than done.

Not sure that would be possible. I was down as low as I could get without lying on my belly - not something you'd likely want to do where I was mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited December 17, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    The backround elements adds to image ,but I woud have preferred to see a more asymmetrical composition.

Point well made.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 17, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    See here I have to disagree with you again!

I find the background adds a sense of "WTF" to this image!

However because of the background I would have gone with B&W, yes I know her garb is
    great but that's how I feel.

You make a good point about blending the background via B&W conversion, Benjamin. Somehow robbing India of its colour seems sacrilegious. ne_nau.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited December 17, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »

I've cropped some to try to add some asymmetry. Take a look again.

patti hinton photography
  • jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    imo, color is essential to the story of the place. The bike was also there and also a part of the story. Add a really interesting character, and to me at least, that's what documentary is about.
    edited December 20, 2012
    Thanks Jim. I took several of her but then she caught on.

patti hinton photography