Opinions?

MayndiLeighMayndiLeigh Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited November 25, 2005 in People
So... downloaded Corel Paint Shop Pro X and here's what I came up with...

hrm39g.jpg

hrmrfa.jpg

hrmro0.jpg

i'm tryin so hard to get the dang hang of this photography and editing stuff.

how the fleep am i doing? critiques extremely welcome. hell, i turn 21 in 30 days, i might even buy ya a drink xzicon_smile_cool.gif

Comments

• mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Very nice start and welcome to dgrin
    These are nice pictures and I esp. like the 'Buddies' shot-you can feel their comradery.......................Mereimage
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    Mayndi - three very nice shots in my opinion. I also use Corel rather than Adobe and that puts us in the minority.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want help with the program, with post editing in general or digital photography in general?

From what you've posted here you seem to have a great handle on all. thumb.gif

Happy Thanksgiving.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Doing great especially if you a newbie. What do you want feedback on, the shot the post processing effects, etc.

I really like the first shot, doesn't seem posed. The second one is nice, but to me seems a little too centered, straight on, etc. Some variation I think could help. The last one is a little tight, too close in. I get they are close but are they just hugging, are they watching something, you can't tell.

Overall nice pics.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Hello fellow Hoosier, good shots, just keep working at it. I'm in the smae place you are (editing wise).
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 24, 2005
    Your shots and editing are quite good. I'm a PSP (ver. 7) user here. I'll be grabbing X sometime next year. There are lots of nice tools buried deep in PSP (& very hidden in X). It is difficult to outgrow the capabilities of that package. Native RAW imaging in PSP is terrible though. That's where RSE or RSP come in.

...and wecome to DGrin!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • cybercrypt13cybercrypt13 Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    I really like that last shot the best. The other two shots are nice poses and good shots, but they are a bit soft. I don't know if you did this on purpose or if that was the way the camera took the shot. Just my 2 cents...
    --

glenn hancock
    http://www.gshutter.com
    edited November 24, 2005
    I really like that last shot the best. The other two shots are nice poses and good shots, but they are a bit soft. I don't know if you did this on purpose or if that was the way the camera took the shot. Just my 2 cents...
    I wanted to expand a bit. Your poses and such in all 3 pictures are really nice. You have a good eye, and I would think most of your problem might be the focus on the camera itself. All 3 pictures seem soft and not quite in focus. Maybe trying a litle more DOF would help a little. But definately not worth thinking you aren't doing a good job....
    --

glenn hancock
  • MayndiLeighMayndiLeigh Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    I wanted to expand a bit. Your poses and such in all 3 pictures are really nice. You have a good eye, and I would think most of your problem might be the focus on the camera itself. All 3 pictures seem soft and not quite in focus. Maybe trying a litle more DOF would help a little. But definately not worth thinking you aren't doing a good job....

thanks so much for the tip, i'm gonna have to figure out the camera more i suppose :D but it always seems when i try to sharpen the picture, it comes out grainy or mixed. not real attractive, know anything i could do to fix that? would using more DOF help that?
    edited November 25, 2005
    thanks so much for the tip, i'm gonna have to figure out the camera more i suppose :D but it always seems when i try to sharpen the picture, it comes out grainy or mixed. not real attractive, know anything i could do to fix that? would using more DOF help that?
    Don't get me wrong. Sharpening the picture is not what I'm saying. If you look at all three pictures and take your very first impression of the photos, they are just soft. What I"m saying is that the camera did not focus perfectly on the subjects. Its either a little forward or aft of them. This could be from a bad autofocus that needs to be fixed, or a number of other things. I don't really know what type of camera you are using so I don't know exactly what your problem may be.

If you can, try manual focus and see if you can get tighter on them. When I'm running manual I usually shoot 3 shots with very minor adjustments to focus just in case my eye is a little off. Autofocus is a pain on most cameras just due to the fact that its possible the camera might be focusing on something you are not noticing in the picture.

Another thing to do that will help a lot is to use a smaller aperature setting (actually larger number value). This will deepen the depth of field (DOF) and usually allow soft pictures to appear a little more in focus.

Good luck,
    --

glenn hancock