Turbans at night

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited January 10, 2013 in Street and Documentary
untitled--L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    moody, nice, maybe a tad more light on the main subject.
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Nice evocative image.

I agree with Ben. It would help to see a little more facial detail in the two standing figures. I'd also crop from the right hand side to something approaching a 4x3 format.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    I don't know, I think I'd leave the exposure where it is. Only Patti knows whether the shot was underexposed at the time or if that was just the light she had. As it is, it has the potential to be more mysterious. Also, don't crop. It would compress the shadowy folks in the upper right as well as essentially centring the primary subjects.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 18, 2012
    I wouldn't crop it either--it's a good composition as it stands. My first reaction was that it opening the shadows up would help. So I tried it in PS, but didn't like the result. However, I did find that an overlay mode adjustment--making much of the scene totally black and the lighter parts brighter--made it much more dramatic.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    I wouldn't crop it either--it's a good composition as it stands. My first reaction was that it opening the shadows up would help. So I tried it in PS, but didn't like the result. However, I did find that an overlay mode adjustment--making much of the scene totally black and the lighter parts brighter--made it much more dramatic.

Richard, that was my original version. see below
    untitled--2-L.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 18, 2012
    Yes, I like that one more. thumb.gif
    edited December 18, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I don't know, I think I'd leave the exposure where it is. Only Patti knows whether the shot was underexposed at the time or if that was just the light she had. As it is, it has the potential to be more mysterious. Also, don't crop. It would compress the shadowy folks in the upper right as well as essentially centring the primary subjects.

It was virtually dark out by then and I shot at very high ISO.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 18, 2012

Goes to show I shouldn't second guess my first instinct. mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Now I really like the more Moody version as well!!
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    The first one is perfect.
  • jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    Both are good, but I like #2 better, all the faces concealed by the dark, much more mysterious.
    edited December 20, 2012
    Interesting to see where opinions fall. This is one of two photos from India that I'll have printed. I'll be going with version#2 mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012

Wow! I agree.
    edited January 10, 2013
    Thanks Cristobol.

patti hinton photography
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Go with the first one - the empty dark space to the right adds to the mood and mystery. And I don't want to see detail in those faces; this image is as much about what we don't see as what we do. And despite it's lack of color, it is very painterly. Nice job, Patti.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited January 10, 2013
    Thanks bd. once again, self doubt. ;0)

patti hinton photography