working on China images today...

7126561-L.jpg

7126562-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    7126561-Th.jpg

Damon, it seems like sometimes you focus on the background instead of the subject on purpose. Is this true? You have such a great sense of composition and such a good eye for people that if often works well. I think that in some of the China pictures it helps to convey the fact that you were a foreigner there and not always on the same page as your subjects, or perhaps a little overwhelmed by their surroundings. In the case of this particular image, I'd say that tricks isn't working as well. Maybe it's like a magician's trick, if you see the wire, it's ruined. Here the background focus is pretty obvious and I'd like to see the woman's face myore clearly. She obviously has something on her mind...

7126562-Th.jpg

Nice. The extremely high contrast conveys a sense that this was a hot bright day. I think the shot might have more punch if you combined the high contrast with artifically high saturation (via LAB curves or whatever).
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    Yeah, I like that effect. It takes emphasis away from the subject and makes you focus on another part of the photo...only you would notice and KNOW that it's intentional. Glad you like the bikes too. I'll try the lab stuff.
    rutt wrote:
    7126561-Th.jpg

Damon, it seems like sometimes you focus on the background instead of the subject on purpose. Is this true? You have such a great sense of composition and such a good eye for people that if often works well. I think that in some of the China pictures it helps to convey the fact that you were a foreigner there and not always on the same page as your subjects, or perhaps a little overwhelmed by their surroundings. In the case of this particular image, I'd say that tricks isn't working as well. Maybe it's like a magician's trick, if you see the wire, it's ruined. Here the background focus is pretty obvious and I'd like to see the woman's face myore clearly. She obviously has something on her mind...

7126562-Th.jpg

Nice. The extremely high contrast conveys a sense that this was a hot bright day. I think the shot might have more punch if you combined the high contrast with artifically high saturation (via LAB curves or whatever).