Options

PS for College

LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited December 25, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hey everyone!

I am pretty familiar with Lightroom but have never touched Photoshop. I am taking a Digital Photography course at college this coming semester that all we do is use photoshop in the class. I need to get a copy of this badly and wondering what is the best solution for me?

Any way to buy an older version(CS5) for cheaper?
Should I go for the $30/month(yikes for a college guy!) full access with 20gb cloud storage?
Should i spend the money to buy the full version of photoshop with the student discount?

Thanks for any help and tips!

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Academic pricing of Adobe Photoshop, for students, is significantly cheaper than normal retail price. I would take that option if you can afford the few hundred dollars.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    If it were me, I would go with the full version at 250 USD. When your classes are over, you still have the product and in 9 months you would have paid for PS Extended. Granted that this does not include the many feature sets that are in the cloud, but it all gets down to what you can afford. 30 per month or a straight up 250.

ne_nau.gif
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2012
    Alrighty. Will not have the 250 until beginning of February so might just use the graphics computer lab until then.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    Why not use Elements? I seriously doubt if any college course will cover the features in the full version of
    Photoshop that are not present in Elements 9 or above. An exception might be Content Aware fill, but there
    are other ways to do the same thing. Elements is $55 to $99.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    I will email the professor to check if I can use Elements. Actually thought of this earlier while listening to the Twip podcast. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    Professor says that elements is not sufficient enough; however, he gave me a link to the school website bookstore. My university sells Photoshop CS6 Extended for $187.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    the University I used to work for actually covered all of Photoshop and the Adobe book In the Classroom was the text book...so yes colleges / Universities do use the full version...
    I found Academic superstore to have the best Prices for Student / Academic versions of Adobe products and there is no difference between student version / retail version...well there is a difference in Price ... .... or PS Extended at Academic Superstore...

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 23, 2012
    Thanks Art! I am buying the book for the class from a friend that was just in the class for only $35. My school is selling Photoshop for $187 so I think I will go for it there.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    That's an excellent price. And I think you are making the right decision. It would be a real PITA to be using different software than the software on which the instructor bases his or her instruction. and then when you are done, you will have the most powerful editor available, and you will know how to use it.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2012
    Completely agree Paddler4!