tips for newborns?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 19, 2012 in People
our neighbor just had a baby, and I'm doing some shots for them tomorrow. I know to keep the room warm, I'll be using windowlight and a reflector, I have a beanbag I can maybe use (under the blanket - it's an actual beanbag from Mini-D's room rather than a baby item) and we're set for a time that's likely right after a feed.

when I get hone later I'll be reading up more, but any tips for a newborn first-timer? thanks!!!!

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Well, here is one... give yourself some TIME. It often takes an hour or more to get them settled down so you can play. I had a two hour session that was very difficult that way recently. I would have stayed longer, but they had schedules a well baby checkup right afterwards. We made some good photos... but not nearly as many as I had hoped for or normally get.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Heating pad under the blanket, works wonders.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    If its a boy, wear goggles.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Haha Alex!!

Heating pad = great idea. I don't have one, but maybe they do (or a trip to Target might be in order...)

I really am not planning on a big Anne Geddes, artistic session - I'd just like to get some nice clean, black-backdrop baby-butt images, and maybe a set with the parents' hands. They have beautiful wood floors, so perhaps I can incorporate that, too.

I'm now watching YT vids and panicking a bit - it's been nearly 15 years since my "baby" was that size. I'm not sure I even remember what to do!! Here's hoping it comes back to me.... I met the little guy on Sunday and he's just beautiful. He's also VERY sleepy (to the point they have to wake him for feedings) and was 1000% to sit with me after his feed, so I'm crossing fingers he'll still be nicely un-fussy tomorrow too.
  • TJGardnerTJGardner Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    I recently tried my first newborn shoot with my daughter and new grandson. The best pic came not from our plan, but from her soothing him when he was upset.
    JCA-172-L.jpg
    So be ready for any time a good capture could come your way!
  • chris.vultaggiochris.vultaggio Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2012
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    Just finished. This guy was REALLY good - slept through most of it, but opened his eyes enough to get a few of those as well. Doesn't like being naked (cries like crazy every time he's without clothes) so we didn't strip him past his diaper, although I got a few of him swaddled in a scarf so still some baby skin for posterity.

I didn't try anything clever and just stuck with basics, but I think I got a few nice ones. Will post later!