Options

Which lab to use?

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited December 25, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Can someone tell me what the differences are in quality between the various lab choices?

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    I personally use BayPhoto. That's where I started and at the time, they were the only ones to offer metal prints. That has changed now, but I still use them. Very happy with service and quality of all the print mediums I've tried with them.

I honestly think you'll get very similar results between all the labs. If they weren't good, I doubt Smugmug would be partnering with them.
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    I ordered identical prints from both Bay Photo and EZ prints. When I put them side by side I couldn't tell a difference. Personally I use Bay Photo because they are located closer to me here in California so I get them a little quicker and their customer service is great. But I agree that any lab that Smugmug uses is going to be a quality product.
  • Options
    spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    I have used Bay Photo, EZ Prints, Aspen Creek, MPix, and Weldon Color Lab. They have all been pretty good.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    It really depends...i got images from EZ and my local Sams Club did a better job, granted this was 7 yrs ago, but back then their work just sucked imho ... ... Bay ahs done a fantastic job for me on my metal prints, i could have went with other labs that did metal but I went with Bay because they say they print directly on the metal, which I have them coat wqith a white substrate to print on...other labs I check did a transfer process of the image...print on paper and transfer to the metal...that was a deal breaker for me... ... ... other than bay, I use MPIX which is in state for me, for paper prints....I was using a local Pro lab but there turn around has gotten way longer than online ordering from Mpix and the quality has been great... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Dave,

Like the others said, all of the Print Labs that SmugMug recommends are exceptional. And remember, no matter which one you choose, when you or your clients order through your SmugMug website, you have a 100% money back guarantee.

With that said, I use Bay Photo. Amazing prints, awesome metal, and they are local for me here in the Bay Area. But again, you really can't go wrong with any of them.
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    I have used EZprints and Bay Photo, and definitely love Bay Photo. Paper prints are great and the MetalPrints are a huge hit. Always came through for me. I have not tried the other labs SmugMug offers so I cannot help with those, but I would absolutely recommend Bay.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    Thanks. For starters I'm going to try out Bay Photo and see how it goes.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Dave,

Like the others said, all of the Print Labs that SmugMug recommends are exceptional. And remember, no matter which one you choose, when you or your clients order through your SmugMug website, you have a 100% money back guarantee.

With that said, I use Bay Photo. Amazing prints, awesome metal, and they are local for me here in the Bay Area. But again, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

I was reading on another forum that SM charge a significant markup on what shooters can get prints made for direct from the labs they use.

I don't if that is correct or not but it may be something for people who want to use SM to look into. May make a significant difference to their profits from a job it that is right.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    The pricing through SM is typically the same as going directly to the labs, but occasionally the labs will have specials that will beat the standard pricing through SM.
    For example, Bay Photo runs 24 hour specials usually on Facebook, and I was able to get one of my metal prints for 20% off directly from them. Specials are usually on large prints, canvas, or metal prints. MPIX does something similar. I have not seen the same from EZ Prints, but I am not set up with them directly. I just liked EZ Prints page, so maybe I will see more now!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    As stated above, the prices are usually the same. But I had to order a couple 16x20 from Bay Photo last month, and it was actually cheaper through Smugmug then the Bay Photo ROES.

Good call with Bay Photo. You will not be disappointed

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2012
    Thanks. Everyone seems to be pretty happy with them so am looking forward to getting some trial prints. I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    The pricing through SM is typically the same as going directly to the labs, but occasionally the labs will have specials that will beat the standard pricing through SM.

That's very different to what people are saying else where and giving costing comparisons on. One I saw was with bay photo and the difference was many hundreds of $$.

I'm not arguing with what you say, I don't have the level of interest to do so but it seems to me that anyone would be well advised to compare Direct and SM prices in any event.
  • Options
    Daniel UKDaniel UK Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    Am I correct in thinking prints through SmugMug includes colour correction at the lab before being printed, where as going direct doesn't include this?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    I think it depends on Lab and how you order, thru SM or directly...
    I know BAY will Color Correct (or not) if asked to, both thru SM and directly...your UK lab I have no idea,
    I don't even know who SM's UK lab is por I would go check the website or email them for
    clarification ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website