Budget camera suggestions - Think P&S

ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited December 23, 2012 in Cameras
My sister and her husband are looking for a new camera. Their budget range is definitely in the P&S realm as they would like to keep it around $350 or less. I'm sure there's a little flexibility if it's worth it.

Main objectives will be to photograph their daughter, and with a new on on the way. They will be shooting in automatic mode, but want internet worthy low light photo's. Possibly smaller prints like 8x10 or smaller if that. Neither of them would know their way around a camera really, so simple = better of course.

Primary reason I'm asking here is that F-stoppers posted a link to B&H about a Canon t3 with kit lens for $399. I know that's way to much camera for what they are after, but would the capabilities of it in automatic mode be better than a decent quality point and shoot? Of course with the options to upgrade lenses and such later on if they wanted.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited December 20, 2012
    We just went through a very similar process in this thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=229732

Long story short, they bought a Nikon Coolpix P7700. Just above your sister's family's budget, it can produce images with very good detail, and it has a standard Nikon hot shoe so if they want to improve their indoor photography they can add an external flash with flash modifier.

It also has decent video capabilities, all the rage, with a connector for an external microphone (which is extremely important for quality video acquisition).

As an all-rounder, it's pretty hard to beat. No, it's not very suitable for sports/action (including an active child indoors), and it's not the best for low-light without flash, and the built-in flash will make it look like every other P&S (except when the flash is used for fill light), but it has potential.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    We just went through a very similar process in this thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=229732

Long story short, they bought a Nikon Coolpix P7700. and it's not the best for low-light without flash,

This was me! thumb.gif
    LOVE this camera I recommend the P7700 110%!

Dunno about that low light comment?
    I took this in Night Landscape Mode it worked out to ISO 1600.
    This is the lowest noise ISO 1600 pic I have ever taken with a digital camera.
    Hand held no flash!!

i-Nq63bqL-XL.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited December 23, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ... As an all-rounder, it's pretty hard to beat. No, it's not very suitable for sports/action (including an active child indoors), and it's not the best for low-light without flash, and the built-in flash will make it look like every other P&S (except when the flash is used for fill light), but it has potential.
    ... Dunno about that low light comment?
    I took this in Night Landscape Mode it worked out to ISO 1600.
    This is the lowest noise ISO 1600 pic I have ever taken with a digital camera.
    Hand held no flash!!

I should explain. I believe that you will find that the Nikon Coolpix P7700 beats many/most other compact cameras in its class and price range. My comment about "... not the best for low-light without flash ..." refers to two properties which are available to larger sensor and more expensive cameras:
    1) Low-light AF. I believe that you will find that the Nikon Coolpix P7700 will struggle in low light. The AF will slow and sometimes even fail (the latter in extremely low light and with low contrast subjects). This is not an extreme criticism of this camera, but I'm trying to align expectations and realities.

2) High-ISO noise. While the Nikon Coolpix P7700 is indeed exemplary in its class, there are more expensive solutions with much better cameras, with much better high-ISO noise signatures. I just don't want folks thinking that the Nikon Coolpix P7700 can match those cameras which cost ten times as much.

For a compact advanced digicam, the Nikon Coolpix P7700 is truly a great example and a leader in this class. I would be both happy and proud to have one. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums