Options

Here's what I want

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 24, 2005 in Cameras
A EF mount 200+ tele < f/2. What I really want is < f/1.5. I'll take the lid of the story behind this unrealistic wish soon.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    Cann or non-OEM?? The 200 f1.8 L is no longer made by Canon. Maybe Andy is ready to let go of his.clap.gif He's had it a few months I believe. rolleyes1.gif

F1.5 200mm

Hmmm F stop = focal length/ diameter or diameter= focal length/ f Stop

diameter = 13.3 cm in diameter for 200mm

diameter = 26.6 cm for 400mm or about 10 inches in diameter

These are going to be big heavy lenses.

Tell us more, I am all ears :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Rutt, keep yer eye on fm.com, there's at least one 200 f/1.8 on there every week. $3K is a good price, $3500 more common.

Also search ebay for Chamcamera (from Korea) he's WONDERFUL and reliable. He gets great copies of this lens. He sells about 3 a month. Scary at first you have to pay by wire xfer but it's totally up and up. I bought from him. He's wonderful.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Of course, a 200mm lens on a full frame camera gives almost exactly the same image as a 135 f2 L on a 20D...........for less cash, less weight, and a black lens at that :):

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Of course, a 200mm lens on a full frame camera gives almost exactly the same image as a 135 f2 L on a 20D...........for less cash, less weight, and a black lens at that :):

And the 200 f/2.8L is damn close in IQ to the f/1.8. I sold the f/1.8 for that reason - big, heavy. Great for indoor hockey or hoops or gymnastics - but for most other uses, the 200 f/2.8 prime on ff or the 135 f/2 on 1.6x will do just great.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

Are you swinging over to the Dark Side rolleyes1.gif

I'd say that 200 would be one sweet lens.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    I'll recover, but my 70-200 f/2.8 wasn't cutting it in a theater type situation tonight. I really wanted that extra f stop. Really really really.

It seems that money will still buy that f/1.8 200mm but not a replay of tonight's opportunity.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I'll recover, but my 70-200 f/2.8 wasn't cutting it in a theater type situation tonight. I really wanted that extra f stop. Really really really.

It seems that money will still buy that f/1.8 200mm but not a replay of tonight's opportunity.

i'd first try the 135 f/2
    it should give you the reach on your 20d
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    I just can't justify the funds for a 200 f1.8 when I already own a a 70-200f2.8 IS L. I know the f1.8 prime will be sharper and have shallower DOF, but is it something that I will use that much more than the zoom? I'd rather own a good 300, 400, or 500 prime than the 200 for my uses - birds, wildlife, airplanes etc.
    Andy shots people a lot more than I do ( I am more of a hermit Nightingale says) and thus the 200 length and the f1.8 shallow DOF may be better for Andy's purposes.
    They're all good. But I think rutt has something else up his sleeve.....

Addendum:
    I missed rutt's post above about the theatre and once in a life time shots. Think 20D, 135 f2 L It is a nice piece of glass.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    But the 20D doesn't have the low light performance of the 5d and 1dmkii.

I got into the dress rehersal for the Boston Ballet Nutcracker. Available light only. The best shots are the dancer's in the air. The very best dance is the "Arabian" and it's very dark.

I made a questionable choice as to where to be for the second act.

I did get some. But missed many I really wanted. I'll post soon.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. I might get another chance next year.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I missed rutt's post above about the theatre and once in a life time shots. Think 20D, 135 f2 L It is a nice piece of glass.

Well, once a year, maybe.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    But the 20D doesn't have the low light performance of the 5d and 1dmkii.

I disagree, strongly. And I've used the 20d *alot* in high iso situations. Don't fear it. Embrace it. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    This is how we glass addict's continue to add to our collection. A new, very specific need. The "need" is real and can only be met with longer or faster glass or both. These are very special purpose tools. But oh, so cool!!, when they are really needed.

Shooting the Ballet would be a real thrill, and I can appreciate your desire for a faster 200mm lens. Helps focus faster, even if you don't want to shoot wide open.

The 1DMkll is a better choice for that venue, than a 20D, I fully agree.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    I think rutt is referring to faster AF in low light; not the high ISO low noise. The 20D makes lovely pictures at high ISOs, but won't focus as fast, nor shoot at 8 fps like a 1DMkll.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think rutt is referring to faster AF in low light; not the high ISO low noise. The 20D makes lovely pictures at high ISOs, but won't focus as fast, nor shoot at 8 fps like a 1DMkll.

Check. Agree.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    rutt wrote:

and where was your 85mm f/1.2 ?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    and where was your 85mm f/1.2 ?
    It was the hero of the night! And I was the goat. I shot act I from the orchestra but couldn't resist the temptation to shoot act II from the dress circle. The 85 worked great from the orchestra, but I used the 70-100 from the dress circle. I should have stayed downstairs. Act II is where it's at and the orchestra is too.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    I disagree, strongly. And I've used the 20d *alot* in high iso situations. Don't fear it. Embrace it. deal.gif

I'll give it a retry, but honestly, the first really good ISO 1600 shots I've ever gotten are from the 5D. I think I wouldn't have kept it otherwise.
    If not now, when?