Options

#118- Scenic idea

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited December 23, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Had an opportunity to shoot a few images in Yosemite during this challenge. Would normally have lots of options, but it was very overcast and the light was flat. So I thought I would bracket some images and apply HDR processing. It is easy for me to take the processing too far, so I was hoping to get some feedback. let me know what you think.

1. Wrapped

i-8pzTf2K-L.jpg

One without HDR

2. The Big One

i-dVP2Pxj-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    I think #1 is fantastic! And I'm so jealous! I'd love to see Yosemite in the snow. Was there in June camping in the north part of the park... when I was in sight of the valley and half dome, the light was coming at me and all my shots ended up like crap. :( #2 is nice as well, but doesn't have the drama of the first. Also, #2 (IMHO) seems a little flat and could use a slight straitening... the foreground seems to be leaning.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    Had an opportunity to shoot a few images in Yosemite during this challenge. Would normally have lots of options, but it was very overcast and the light was flat. So I thought I would bracket some images and apply HDR processing. It is easy for me to take the processing too far, so I was hoping to get some feedback. let me know what you think.

1. Wrapped

i-8pzTf2K-200x200.jpg

I'm curious as to what sort of processing you did for this photo?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I think #1 is fantastic! And I'm so jealous! I'd love to see Yosemite in the snow. Was there in June camping in the north part of the park... when I was in sight of the valley and half dome, the light was coming at me and all my shots ended up like crap. :( #2 is nice as well, but doesn't have the drama of the first. Also, #2 (IMHO) seems a little flat and could use a slight straitening... the foreground seems to be leaning.

Thanks Lisa, yea, you are right. The image does lean to the right. I straightened, tried to add some depth, and cropped out a bit of the foreground.
    Yosemite-217-L.jpg

This is my second trip to Yosemite in the winter. It really is incredible. A must if you can find the time. If you are interested, there are a few more images here.

http://fjcvisual.smugmug.com/Sojourns/Yosemite/14817425_wtZx3h

Jim
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what sort of processing you did for this photo?

Jenn,
    I took a three frame 1 stop bracked series. From there I exported them to Photomatix Pro to create the HDR image. I usually start with one of the presets and adjust from there. This preset was painterly and i upped the blacks, reduced the illumination. I usually check the smoothness etc..
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Shots 10 and 12 are quite nice as well and would definitely fit the challenge. Looks like you had a great trip!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    Jenn,
    I took a three frame 1 stop bracked series. From there I exported them to Photomatix Pro to create the HDR image. I usually start with one of the presets and adjust from there. This preset was painterly and i upped the blacks, reduced the illumination. I usually check the smoothness etc..

I was wondering if the mountain area on the left should have a bit more blue in it to reflect the blue elsewhere, or it could be my monitor?

i-8pzTf2K-200x200.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I was wondering if the mountain area on the left should have a bit more blue in it to reflect the blue elsewhere, or it could be my monitor?

i-8pzTf2K-200x200.jpg

Jenn, thanks for the comment.

Your monitor is probably accurate. I had applied additional clarity to the image in LR. The granite on the left had more direct sunlight and Half Dome was a bit more shaded. So when I applied the broad adjustments this was the outcome. Having said that, I wanted the subject, Half Dome to stand out so I actually like the way it is a bit different from the formation on the left.
  • Options
    kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    #1 is awesome and very nicely processed. it will get my vote! However I imagine there are some in the forum who may not vote for it simply because it is HDR processed. Never understood that mindset myself, but it is out there (probably going to stir the pot here a bit). Anyhow, really well done amd great work!
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2012
    Jenn, thanks for the comment.

Your monitor is probably accurate. I had applied additional clarity to the image in LR. The granite on the left had more direct sunlight and Half Dome was a bit more shaded. So when I applied the broad adjustments this was the outcome. Having said that, I wanted the subject, Half Dome to stand out so I actually like the way it is a bit different from the formation on the left.

I see what you mean. For that matter, I just swapped out my old dinasaur of a monitor for a new flat screen and it really makes a difference in how the photos look.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2012
    kentwaller wrote: »
    #1 is awesome and very nicely processed. it will get my vote! However I imagine there are some in the forum who may not vote for it simply because it is HDR processed. Never understood that mindset myself, but it is out there (probably going to stir the pot here a bit). Anyhow, really well done amd great work!

Sometimes, I like HDR and sometimes not so much. I guess it depends on the subject matter and the purpose of the image. I haven't read about why others feel one way or another. I think the HDR makes an image look more surreal.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    Love the HDR photo! HDR effect is applied in many of my photos, but blended with the original to 'tone it down abit'.