A Christmas Teddy Bear under the Tree

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited December 24, 2012 in Wildlife
The pecan tree, that is . . . :D

ISO 6400, 500 mm + 1.4 TC, f/5.6, 1/250 second, Exposiure compensation +2/3, shot at 7:23 this morning, just after sunrise. Never could have gotten this shot without high ISO camera and the bear cooperating by sitting still for a second! Still working on learning how to post process these high ISO photos. All comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated.

And especially, Merry Mery Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year everyone (now that we are all still here)! Best, Pam

2012-1221_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-1F-L.jpg

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    Nice big big bear. Looks like he does well on the pecan diet
    Merry Christmas Pam

Here on the west coast there is a few hours more to go until we are out of the woods.
    Or maybe they just miscalculated and the world ends tomorrow
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Nice Pam.
    very well exposed, and what a great subject. ISO 6400, amazingclap.gif
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Super cool shot! Love the look on his face. "You gonna give me a salmon as payment for being your model?"

Great work!

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    FINe job pam. The exposure is on the mark (GOOD call on the exposure adjustment) and for a capture at ISO 6400 Its hard to find any noise. Looks like you are getting used to the 1DX.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Nice big big bear. Looks like he does well on the pecan diet
    Merry Christmas Pam

Here on the west coast there is a few hours more to go until we are out of the woods.
    Or maybe they just miscalculated and the world ends tomorrow

Thanks, Chris! That was one big bear!

As far as I can tell, you made it even on the West Coast! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Best, Pam
    edited December 24, 2012
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Nice Pam.
    very well exposed, and what a great subject. ISO 6400, amazingclap.gif

Thanks, Robert! I am thrilled on the few occasions when we are in the right place at the right time to see a bear. Happy New Year! Best, Pam
    edited December 24, 2012
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Super cool shot! Love the look on his face. "You gonna give me a salmon as payment for being your model?"

Great work!

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com

Thanks so much, Michael! We were lucky to drive around a bend just as the bear had his back to us, so he didn't see us for a bit. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Best, Pam
    edited December 24, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    FINe job pam. The exposure is on the mark (GOOD call on the exposure adjustment) and for a capture at ISO 6400 Its hard to find any noise. Looks like you are getting used to the 1DX.

Thank you Harry, for all of your patient coaching on so many subjects! I sure am glad you encouraged me to get the 1DX. And also all the NIK software, because straight out of the camera everything but the bear was underexposed--the leaves were almost white.

My best wishes to you and your family for a rodent-free New Year! We are hoping for the same, as we had mice in the house when we arrived here--happens every time our cousin up the hill cuts his grass, thankfully only once a year!

Best, Pam
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    Well that is one FULL FRAME bear ,nice capture Happy Holidays thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/