Canon 7D $500

flynhawaiianflynhawaiian Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 6, 2013 in House of Canon
I figure there isn't a chance, but I'm looking for a Canon 7D for around $500. I just graduated grad school, and was recently asked to take some photos for a non-profit organization. I give away my time to them, and would love to get a new camera so I can take higher end pictures. Of course my Nikon D80 just broke, and wanted to switch back to a Canon Camera - I used to have a 20D. I realize this is a long shot, but I figured I would ask.

Thank you again for your consideration, and once again I am sorry for asking for such a low price but funds are quite tight with loan repayments.

Comments

• TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    You might consider a canon 50d as that might be closer to your price range!
  • flynhawaiianflynhawaiian Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 23, 2012
    I was looking at the 50D, but was thinking the 7D might be better for my needs. I’m sure it's highly unlikely I would be able to get one for around $500, but figured it might be worth trying :/ I have seen them go for $750 for the body only, which is what I would need. The problem is the extra $250, which is a little much right now. And of course to throw things even worse, I just got married. So of course things have come at the worst time.
    edited December 26, 2012
    Right now $750 for a 7D means it was stolen or really beat up.
  • MHartfordMHartford Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2012
    Yeah I think I'd be leary if a 7D came around for that cheap but you never know, sometimes a deal come around.
  • onesickpuppyonesickpuppy Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    For what its worth.....a friend of mind sold his 7D and went back to the 50D due to better performance of ISO.....just something to ponder.
    Plus...there are lots of posts where people have had "bad" 7D's due to several areas....hard to find that report on a 50D.
    edited December 29, 2012
    HMMM. Maybe that's an idea to think about. I know this is probably a bad idea to ask, but any thoughts on the canon 50D compared to a nikon D300s? They seem to be floating around...
    edited December 30, 2012
    @onesickpuppy Tell us more. Why would someone get a 7D over a 50D? Thank you.
  • ZLGZLG Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2012
    consider a Rebel t2i or t3i
    Hey non-profit photog guy,

I started out with a 10D two years ago. I upgraded to a 30D in June. Then I sold both those old XXD bodies for the Rebel t2i + t3i a few months back, as I'd heard strangely good things about those Rebel bodies. (I researched them, and found those rebels are actually very good cameras for the $.)

In comparison to the 10D and 30D, the new Rebel cameras are fantastic and produce much better images. Their ISO performance is exceptionally good at 800, in comparison to the 10-30D. Actually, the ISO 1600 is useable, so I frequently use ISO 1600 for non-flash night portraits.

See the link below for an unedited photo I did with the Rebel t2i, ISO 1600 (+ Rokinon 35mm f/1.4):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=512531272091110&set=a.512526305424940.119585.454344514576453&type=1&theater

The 7D, 60D and t3i/t2i share the same processor, which basically affords the same image quality. For what you need, I'm fairly confident you can more than get by with a Rebel t2i/t3i + a good lens. You can get the t3i kit + 18-55mm IS II lens from Canon for $450. It's "refurbished" - but Canon's refurb goods are like unsold Big Box store units that were sent back to Canon, then re-inspected by Canon.

See the link below for that sale - best price they've had in months:
    http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

I'm the photo editor of my school paper and I depend on those rebels + good glass - because I'm on a budget. My fellow photographer uses a 7D and complains about it. The 7D is a good camera, but the IQ for the 7D is practically the same as the t2i or t3i. So you may wanna consider getting a t2i or t3i since you're on a budget. Throw some money at good glass, if I may suggest. Since you're on a budget get the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for a $100 or a Rokinon lens - best bang for the buck, but manual focus only.

+zak+
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2013
    Travel wrote: »
    @onesickpuppy Tell us more. Why would someone get a 7D over a 50D? Thank you.
    clap.gif
    edited January 6, 2013
    I'll check out the Rokinon lens. Any recommendations on one? I was actually looking at the canon 50mm f/1.8 As far as manual focus goes, it's easy enough - plus once dialed in allows for faster shots. My only reasoning for going with the 7D is the dual processors, and I’m trying to see if I can drum up a little extra cash. Of course the easiest way would be for a company to hire me :) Alas I just keep hoping something will materialize...

Another big difference with the 7D is the larger mirror size. It's only a few mm, but I know it makes a difference. As far as it's seeing I might be forced to go with a lesser model...
  • onesickpuppyonesickpuppy Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2013
    ZLG......did a great job to start........but if one does any search will find issues on the 7D in comparison to the a 50D....or even the 40D, to which I loved the quality of images out of mine when I had it
    Granted...some do well with the 7D, but its a crap shoot when buying a used one....but then again...I shoot with 1D series for a resaon