Options

DSS Challenge #119 Celebrations!

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited January 10, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #119 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, December 24, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, January 7, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Celebrations!

Tis the seasons for celebrating! No matter what your celebrating in the next two weeks, lets see your best image for celebrating! Make sure that your image can definately show celebrating in progress! Lets not rely on titles to tell us what the celebration is.

The editing restrictions are listed above in this round!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug
gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow
the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #119 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be
fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method
(such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no
worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters
Challenge RULES.
Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the
rules!

Comments

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,954 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    We did our celebrating at Thanksgiving when we went to my daughter's house to see our first great grandchild - they came down from Vermont, and we are leaving on Jan 1st on a trip. All the children are having their Xmas at their own houses in TX, FL, SC and VT. Not sure if I can figure out how to do something on this theme. But just because I'm a proud great grandmother, this is the collage of four generation pictures that I made.

2012-11-22%2520Thanksgiving1.jpg

The two on the left are my mother (the baby) with her mother, grandfather and great grandmother (top left), and mother, grandmother, and great grandmother (bottom left). The one in the middle is me, my daughter, my husband, my granddaughter and my great grandson. Top right is me, my mother holding my granddaughter, and my daughter. On the bottom middle right is me, my grandfather, my daughter and my mother, and the bottom right is my grandmother, my great grandfather, me as a baby and my mother.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Hmmm... it's going to be difficult to avoid the two fireworks shows I know are coming next week but I'd like to think of a different angle.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    superduckz wrote: »
    Hmmm... it's going to be difficult to avoid the two fireworks shows I know are coming next week but I'd like to think of a different angle.

I haven't got any idea what to photograph for this challenge.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    Recently posted one. First time in awhile! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    TEWMOMTEWMOM Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    New Year new challenges! Just added my take on the theme.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2013
    I guess I am a bit confused....

I thought the directive, "Make sure that your image can definately show celebrating in progress!" means the image must show people actively celebrating something since inanimate objects cannot celebrate anything. I have noticed that the majority of entries in the challenge gallery have no people. So...do these other photos fit the theme or is it just me and my interpretation thinking they don't???????

(Not trying to stir trouble....just really want to know.)

Sherry
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 6, 2013
    slpollett wrote: »
    I guess I am a bit confused....

I thought the directive, "Make sure that your image can definately show celebrating in progress!" means the image must show people actively celebrating something since inanimate objects cannot celebrate anything. I have noticed that the majority of entries in the challenge gallery have no people. So...do these other photos fit the theme or is it just me and my interpretation thinking they don't???????

(Not trying to stir trouble....just really want to know.)

Sherry

Yes I noticed that many interpreted it differently then what was written. It will be up to those voting to decide whether it fits the theme or not.deal.gif
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,954 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    So what is someone to do who isn't celebrating anything within the time frame of the challenge? Why have a timed challenge that requires something that people may not be able to do? I'm living with my husband who is not a celebratory type of person. Should I ask my cleaning lady to pretend to have a birthday? Moreover I did NOT interpret ! Make sure that your image can definately show celebrating in progress! to mean that it had to have people in it. That doesn't say anything about people. Normally one is free to make interprestations of the theme. Why should that not be so in this case?

It was the same with the fall colors one, where some areas of the world do not have any fall, and some were having spring and fall hadn't come to some areas yet. It was really unfair to a large number of people.

I really think you need to have more compassion for those of us that aren't in the north east US with large families gathered at Xmas. And also be more clear with the instructions. I totally missed that I had to have people in it, and I suspect that a lot of other people did too. A much clearer title would help. People's Celebrations for instance would have done the trick.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”