Playing with a Portable BG/ Step on in here

novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
edited December 26, 2012 in People
Adorama had a pretty nice pre Christmas sale going on, so I grabbed some stuff. One being a 5X6 canvas portable reversible background. The kind that are spring loaded and fold up like a reflector and hang on a stand for $35. My son graciously stopped by for a few minutes, to let me shoot him and it, to see how well I liked it. He only had a few minutes and I didn't get to check the brownish reverse side. They also had some good sales on 10X12 solid muslims. So I snagged four, but I haven't received them yet.
I know the images are soft, and the shadows are a tad harsh, but mainly wanted to check the print of the BG to see how it photographed. I'm kind of split on this, as far as the size of the different colors. I wanted something a little old school, what do you guys think? Here's you're chance to critique me lol. But I will be posting more later on of some of the solid bg's, as well as the reverse side of this one.

The way I lit the background was, a flash on the ground behind the chair, angled towards the bg at about 70 degrees, turned down to about 1/4 power. Me and the camera about 10 feet away, with an off camera flash to the left.

img8641editedit.jpg

img8632edit2.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    $35???? Wow. Sorry I missed that sale! I have a black/white one which I use all the time!!

Pictures are nice - add a reflector to get some more light under the brim of the hat and soften the inevitable shadows (or get him to take the hat off :)
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    Thanks Diva, they have been having some good sales. It was kind of a surprise thing when he came by. I had things set up and and ambushed him when he came by lol. But I was surprised it was canvas, I was expecting light cloth. It folds up to about a 2 foot circle with a zippered case. I couldn't pass it up lol. Just make sure you're not around anyone or anything when you snap it open lol. Hold it out at arms length lol.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    They also had some good sales on 10X12 solid muslims. So I snagged four, but I haven't received them yet.

Perhaps you meant "MUSLINS" being cloth, as opposed to "MUSLIMS" being the followers of Islamic faith.................oops !!!

Carpy
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    I love mine, novice - use it all the time. The spring does loosen over time, I've found - easier to fold, but harder to keep upright :) I actually prop it against a bookcase and use a clip to hold the loop to the top. Works a treat.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Haha, thanks for the correction. Spell check failed me on my intention lol. I'm really looking forward to trying the other side of the bg. I'm thinking the brownish/ goldish with pick up skin tones nicely. Here's the link to it, still on sale, to me well worth $35.
    http://www.adorama.com/BD403S.html
    Flashpoint 60x78" Collapsible Disc Background, One Side Light Browns /Light Brown, the Other Side Purple/ Dark Gray/ Light Gray - with Zippered Carrying Case

And here is what the brownish side looks like
    bd403s_2.jpg

ETA, I also got a clip that attaches to the top of a stand, that clips to the BG to keep it off the ground.
    Flashpoint Background & reflector Clip
    http://www.adorama.com/FPPRC.html

Plus I grabbed a few of these to clamp on the bottom to keep it steady.
    http://www.adorama.com/LTCA2.html

I think I have a pull back shot to show it on the stand. I'll see if I can find it. Found them.

Here's a front view of it clipped.
    img8608c.jpg

Here you can see how large it really is and the two clamps on the bottom.
    img8604small.jpg

Here I was checking flash pattern on it, flash is sitting on the ground behind the chair, a little too hot I would say, it's kind of washing out the color.
    img8614small.jpg