Options

My Mom - The Epitome of a Cuban Mother

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 2, 2013 in People
8306904291_677b0ef764_b.jpg

This is my wonderful mother who has dedicated her 82 years on this planet to serving the people around her. She raised 3 of her own kids and helped to raise grandkids and great-grandkids. She was a wonderful wife to my father for 50 years and took great care of him until his last breath. She nursed all of my grandparents through their last days without a single complaint.

She can get a bit melodramatic at times but that's what makes her my mom. She lives to serve others and although she often says otherwise, I don't think she'd want it any other way.

I am guilty of not telling her enough of how much I love her and appreciate all that she's done for me and my family. I do though, very much. Not many women like this anymore. She's one of the last great women.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    RolfRolf Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    There is still fire in those eyes so cherish that. You're a very lucky man and I suspect she feels lucky too.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    Aw, Alex, I'm all teary after reading that. Make sure she sees it, too. She's amazing (and I have a feeling she knows what a kind and generous boy she raised iloveyou.gif )
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Fantastic post (and the photo is pretty good too). What a lady.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    you are so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful women.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BBstringerBBstringer Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    I don't know you Alex, but those words about your Mom say much about the person you are...and the person you are, I'm sure, says much about your Mom. Great shot....it shows a lot of love.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    oh, and the hair light is way to hot.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Thanks all. She's a great lady and has really amazed me since my father's passing. My father was my mother's entire world and we feared that she wouldn't be able to cope with his death. Quite the contrary... she immediately took over everything my father once handled and has impressed me with how strong she is. Really cool to see and such a relief that she is able to continue to enjoy life.

A little about the shot. I took this while we celebrated "Noche Buena", Christmas Eve night. Cubans, as many other Latinos, celebrate Christmas Eve. At midnight, all the children open their gifts. On Christmas Day, we rest and recover from the festivities from the night before. I took this while my mother was getting ready to serve dinner. I walked into the kitchen and asked her to turn around. I gave her just a moment to compose herself and too the shot. It's now one of my favorite recent photos of her because it captures her in her "element".

My Smug Site
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    What a great portrait and nice reading, what she was cooking... ropa vieja?

Regards,

Marcelo

P.D. You should tell her more often how much you love her.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    Just got an email from Getty Images. They want this shot for their stock library.

I actually now have quite a few images for sale on Getty Images but I didn't expect this one to be requested. Laughing.gif. Now I need to get my mom to sign a Model Release. She's going to get a kick out of that.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Alex,

Great image and story. Cherish every day you have her.

Sam
  • Options
    DiggersDiggers Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    What a Beautiful photo and write up! I Love this portrait and am not surprised in the least that Getty would pick it up! Congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Thanks Sam and Diggers. I truly could not ask for a better mom.

BTW, my mother and father used to perform in the small theatre in their town in Cuba. My father would recite poetry. My mother would act and sing. Somewhere there are photos of them. There is one of my mother, that I've not seen in years but I remember admiring as a child of my mom dress as Geisha from a play she was in. My mother says she has them put away someplace but she can't remember where exactly. When she does find them, I will share them with you.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    I took this while we celebrated "Noche Buena", Christmas Eve night. Cubans, as many other Latinos, celebrate Christmas Eve. At midnight, all the children open their gifts. On Christmas Day, we rest and recover from the festivities from the night before.

What's funny to me is I'm half Chilean and my girlfriend is half Cuban and used to live with her Cuban abuela, and she had never heard of this paradigm of exchanging gifts on Christmas eve. My mom (the source of my Chilean half) had told me that's the way they did it growing up in Chile, but with me growing up in America we always did gifts on Christmas morning. When my girlfriend and I moved in together I decided to push for the change over and she was a bit bewildered by the concept of doing gifts on Christmas eve but that's our thing now.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2013
    nice environmental portrait..its screams out character
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com