Please help with duck identification

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited December 30, 2012 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone,
Edmund and I saw several of these ducks this morning on a pond here, and wonder if anyone knows what they are. Edmund is pretty knowledgeable about ducks in our area, but has never seen one like this here before. It is a diving duck. Poor picture quality, as the duck was too far away and the light was blinding. Many thanks, Pam

2012-1226_Duck-9-1A-L.jpg

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Nice photo of a Common Loon.
    Click here to see sightings for Nov and Dec 2012 in your area.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Thanks, Al! Actually, no sightings near us, as we are about 4 miles north of Vermillion Bay, which is farther west in Louisiana than any of the recent or older sightings. Thank you so much for helping us figure it out. Made Edmund feel better, too, that he wasn't missing something he should know. Happy New Year! Best, Pam
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    We are returning the grandkids to Texas next week then birding south to LRGV and returning home across La. shore. on 82 and up to Lafayette to get east to Inst 55. So will be passing close to you.
    Happy New Year!
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    We are returning the grandkids to Texas next week then birding south to LRGV and returning home across La. shore. on 82 and up to Lafayette to get east to Inst 55. So will be passing close to you.
    Happy New Year!

We won't be here next week, but any time you are coming through, let me know and if we are here I'll give you the twenty-five cent tour! Avery Island is just 40 minutes south of Lafayette on Highway 90.

Happy New Year, and safe travels! Best, Pam
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    Envous here. Don't gte loons in my neck of the woods
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"